Breathable vs non breathable felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
can anyone explain the benefits of breathable over non breathable felt to be used on an 80sq m pitched roof in a garage.

Also I have read recently that breathable felts can result in the death of bats that roosts between the felt and the slates. Does anyone know of a modern felt that is safe for bats or a way of keeping out bats.

Sponsored Links
Breathable is far more expensive, and probably not worth it for a garage.

Apart from the cost what would be the difference between breathable and non breathable.

And does anyone know of a modern felt that won't kill bats

If you're bothered about the bats, why not use the cheaper ordinary bitumen-based felt?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply

I wanted to use a lighter membrane due to the garage being 12m long, it makes it at lot easier using 1.5m rolls

Also I have read recently that breathable felts can result in the death of bats that roosts between the felt and the slates. Does anyone know of a modern felt that is safe for bats or a way of keeping out bats.
How is a breathable membrane any more dangerous to bats than say a bituminous one?

Did you also read the reasons why?

I wanted to use a lighter membrane due to the garage being 12m long, it makes it at lot easier using 1.5m rolls

Then it's a choice between saving the strain on your back, or saving a few bats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back