breathable waterproof membrane for a cavehouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hola todas
Anyone out there know of a suitable breathable waterproof membrane for the following problem.
I am having problems with damp coming through a ceiling in a cave house (I live in Spain) Water and caves are moi bad.
I have put irrigation channels in the land above the cave in an attempt to stop the problem but no success.
The problem being is the soil is pure clay and in heavy rains turns into a sponge. Concreting is not an option as the caves need to breath so the only thing I can think of would be a breathable waterproof membrane running off into a french drain. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Greetings cave dweller! This is an abnormal problem and beyond the scope of diy, gonna have to get your thinking cap on, but breathable membrane sounds ok-ish.

Should've got a survey done really :mrgreen:

Unusual problem, but I do have to question

"pure clay... turns into a sponge,..."

As far as I know , clay is impervious to water and therefore not very sponge-like - right or not ? If you really have clay, I would have thought that would have been ideal.

Anyway, that apart, how much soil/clay above the rock (?) of your abode ?

Would it be possible to scrape it all off mechanically and cover it with a water-proof membrane ? This assumes you own the land above the cave.

Surely a big task, but you have a significant problem to deal with.

Anyway, what's with the "Hola Todas " ? This is not a unisex female forum .

Sponsored Links
Tyvek are pretty clued up on breather membranes. They may have something suitable for your application/environment, have a look:-

Dupont Tyvek

They've also got a spanish site you may find useful:-

Dupont Tyvek Espana

Good luck :)

Unusual problem, but I do have to question

"pure clay... turns into a sponge,..."

As far as I know , clay is impervious to water and therefore not very sponge-like - right or not ? If you really have clay, I would have thought that would have been ideal.

Clay undergoes one of the most astonishing volume changes when saturated with water. This is the reason we have clay heave and shrinkage subsidence within properties built on clay.

There is a whole industry built around the problems associated with properties built on clay.

You need to swat-up Skywalker.

why do caves need to breathe?

just shotcrete the inside and the water will find another route past the cave.. eary..

Mucho gracias todas

Scraped some top soil off, laid a bed of sand and gone for the breathable waterproof membrane running off into a french drain option. If the cave hasn't sunk under the weight of rain hitting us at the moment I would say problem solved. :D

interesting issues there. Keep us informed about how it goes. Just for records, what kind of thickness is the ceiling/walls to the surface? Also interested in the interior wall surface and what it is made up of.

Cheers Need to knowloads more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back