Breeze block fire place help!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Firstly, what a great forum. I've been stalking you all a while and there are many great people here.

I'm wanting to widen my fireplace for a woodburner and can happily put a new concrete head in, but my concern is, how do I go about supporting the breeze block behind the new concrete head??

I've attached a photo. Thanks for any help folks.

Attachments

• fireplace.JPG
    fireplace.JPG
    374.2 KB · Views: 267
Sponsored Links
Welcome in Stephen, I will assume you mean the inner leaf of blockwork ? If so you would need to support it just the same way as the outer leaf and another concrete lintel would pick up the inner leaf. You could use one piece of stone or concrete if it were wide enough to cover both skins but easier and much less heavy to fit one on each.

dont do anything else until youve picked an available woodburner an checked Mfr's instructions for install dimensions esp the depth back req'd from the face of the c/breast.

you seem to have a mixture of block an brick.

Thanks for the help DazB and bobasd.

After a few measurements I will be able to support the inner block work with another lintel or two.

Bobasd I've found the stove I want and emailed them to try and get the minimum size required so I have a starting point before removing blocks unnecessarily.

My only issue is that I may not have enough depth, even after finding a slim/ shollow depth stove.

Its never easy!!!

Sponsored Links
go to the side of the c/breast - the cheek - an measure from the back wall to the face of the c/breast an thats your available depth.

older c/breasts were 14" depth an sometimes 18" - but measure yous to be ok.

Thanks for the help DazB and bobasd.

After a few measurements I will be able to support the inner block work with another lintel or two.

Bobasd I've found the stove I want and emailed them to try and get the minimum size required so I have a starting point before removing blocks unnecessarily.

My only issue is that I may not have enough depth, even after finding a slim/ shollow depth stove.

Its never easy!!!
If you look on manufacturers website there should be the install instructions.
Does the flue need a liner, if so you need to know what size as that could have a bearing on what stove you can have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back