RSJ into a single skinned wall out of Breeze Block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to fit an rsj in my garage to support a concrete roof as the beam currently holding it in place is rotting. The is due to to me not sealing the new roof to the old roof correctly. The only problem is, I've been advised I can't fit the rsj to a single skinned wall made out of 5 newton breeze block.

There's no sign of cracking in the breeze block with the current beam fitted and wondered if I can just swap the 2 over once the roof's properly supported.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links
Is it sat on a pillar, or just resting on 100mm thick blockwork? Any padstone?

Is it sat on a pillar, or just resting on 100mm thick blockwork? Any padstone?

Just resting on 100mm breeze block. No padstone. The roof is 3" thick. The garage was built by an ex bricklayer about 10 years ago with me just labouring so went on his advice as to what needs to be done.

The only problem is, I can't build a pillar next to the wall due to space restrictions.

Sponsored Links
When you say rotting, do you mean the current beam is timber?

The new beam won't be carrying any more load than the existing one, so the blockwork can obviously take the load.

However, if you want to do things by the book you should also use a padstone of a suitable size and check the wall for capacity. Can't help with the size of the padstone as have no idea of the weight of the roof or how much roof the beam is carrying.

DSC00398.jpg

use a pad stone m8 it spreads the load out over the wall

Poss that the roof is reinforced and self supporting? The beam may have been a temp support during construction.

Also who is advising you about not being able to put the beam onto 5N blocks?

that is not a beam... its a concrete lintel... just fit it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back