rsj steel beam - piers onto floorbards or down to foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
rsj steel beam - piers onto lounge floorbards or down to foundation?

I'm removing support wall to open up ground floor loung.

Cannot put steel into wall either side; have got to build piers to support RSJ.

Also should I use brick or breeze block for piers?

Sponsored Links
sounds like you need to get a structual engineer in, he will advise you on how to install the beam including what size piers and pad stones although i can tell you now that the piers need to go on the foundations.

Its not as simple as just getting a beam and putting it in, you will need calculations to proove the rsj is adaquate and you will need to comply with building regs and the local building inspector will need to take a look at your work and the calculations for the beam

knocking down supporting walls is not a job that should be taken lightly, you really need to know what your doing and i dont mean to sound harsh but when your asking questions like can the piers go on the floor boards it makes me think you should leave this job to a reputable builder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back