Building pier to support rsj

How have you got 2 leaves,the drawing shows 1 brick only,which is not enough. Better to build bigger pillar 330mmx215 or use steel goalpost ,and make sure foundation is acceptable.

Apologies i may not be familiar with the terminology

Here is the existing wall I'll be tieing into, on the right hand side

https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/img_20190909_112346.103263/

https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/img_20190909_112357.103265/

And the brick pier will be setup as the diagram below as stated by the SE

https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/screenshot_20190906-214006.103264/

Sponsored Links
Spoke to BCO explained the situation and provided images of the existing wall

BCO stated wall starter kit is fine to tie into the existing wall!

He recommended to use 2 wall ties for either leaf

I also asked whether i should use class A or B solid engineering bricks, he said either will be fine as long as they are solid :)
Ask him how to stop a single vertical joint under a point load from a beam from cracking, and if he'll pay the repair costs when it does.

Starter strips are flimsly tin things and would only serve to stabilize the pier rather than effect load transfer to the existing wall. If this is what you're using, you have to allow that all the weight from the beam will be transferred to the foundation via the pier, and including the weight of the pier itself.
Are you confident that the existing foundation is suitable to take what is in effect a concentrated (point) load?
It would be better if you could transfer at least some of the load into the existing wall, either by bonding (not too easy I agree) or by using something more substantial than starters, such as 150 x 150 x 50 steel brackets firmly screwed to the wall with short but thick screws or coach screws - say 6 up the full height of the pier.
Your bonding method as on the last diagram is OK; you don't need engineering bricks as the load will not be that much. A 215 x 215 pier of that height in flettons or concrete commons will support a factored load of around 60kN, which would be very unusual on the span you have.
Ask them to justify why you need solid engineering bricks rather than ordinary and much cheaper commons.

@ Woods; just noticed your post - why would there be a continuous vertical joint? He's using 2 bricks per course, cross-bonded as per his diagram - though admittedly the SEs drawing only suggests what seems to be a stack of bricks? - confusing

Sponsored Links
Starter strips are flimsly tin things and would only serve to stabilize the pier rather than effect load transfer to the existing wall. If this is what you're using, you have to allow that all the weight from the beam will be transferred to the foundation via the pier, and including the weight of the pier itself.
Are you confident that the existing foundation is suitable to take what is in effect a concentrated (point) load?
It would be better if you could transfer at least some of the load into the existing wall, either by bonding (not too easy I agree) or by using something more substantial than starters, such as 150 x 150 x 50 steel brackets firmly screwed to the wall with short but thick screws or coach screws - say 6 up the full height of the pier.
Your bonding method as on the last diagram is OK; you don't need engineering bricks as the load will not be that much. A 215 x 215 pier of that height in flettons or concrete commons will support a factored load of around 60kN, which would be very unusual on the span you have.
Ask them to justify why you need solid engineering bricks rather than ordinary and much cheaper commons.

Hi Tony,

Will i need to consult with the SE and BCO if i were to use the heavy duty steel brackets you mention instead of the wall starter kit?

Could you kindly provide a link/pic to which brackets you are referring to?

The SE said it would be better to use solid engineering bricks, i didn't think to question him, happy to pay the extra for class B solid engineering bricks for added security, strength and piece of mind, although it'll cost me significantly more!

The left hand side of the wall the SE said use just one course of solid engineering bricks, no need for padstones on either end

The dining room floor where the pier will be built on is a concrete slab floor approx 24 inches thick

Last edited:
Google the Simpson Strongtie catalogue - there are some brackets in there, but they have them at Wickes and B&Q as well - usually about 150 x 150. slightly smaller will do - say 100 x 100, it's the thickness of the screw fixings that matters.
Personally I think individual brackets would be better than starters so I wouldn't even be bothered worrying the SE/bco.
Use class Bs if you want - be interesting to know what load he has on the beam? Many SEs over-specify, sometimes to cover themselves, sometimes because they then don't have to sit down and do the figures, sometimes because they lack experience/confidence .... you pays yer money.
Your 24" slab seems fine.
Good luck with the project.

Does the wall the pillars attached to have a vertical dpc all the way up, it looks like brickwork ends there and not return, and theres no reason you can't tooth out that brickwork to tie in.

Google the Simpson Strongtie catalogue - there are some brackets in there, but they have them at Wickes and B&Q as well - usually about 150 x 150. slightly smaller will do - say 100 x 100, it's the thickness of the screw fixings that matters.
Personally I think individual brackets would be better than starters so I wouldn't even be bothered worrying the SE/bco.
Use class Bs if you want - be interesting to know what load he has on the beam? Many SEs over-specify, sometimes to cover themselves, sometimes because they then don't have to sit down and do the figures, sometimes because they lack experience/confidence .... you pays yer money.
Your 24" slab seems fine.
Good luck with the project.

Great, thanks Tony!

The report consists of several pages so not sure exactly where to look, this is what it states under loading

Single Skin Concrete Blockwork; 1.5kN/m2 Plaster 2x0.15kN/m; 0.30kN/m2 Total load = 1.8kN/m2 Wall 2.5m high x 1.8kN/m2 = 4.5kN/m

Last edited:
@ Woods; just noticed your post - why would there be a continuous vertical joint? He's using 2 bricks per course, cross-bonded as per his diagram - though admittedly the SEs drawing only suggests what seems to be a stack of bricks? - confusing
Starters give a continuous vertical joint!

Could you provide an example of how the bracket would work? and where would it be placed?
Lifted from the web. Something like this?

right_angle_beam_connection_1.jpg

If the load the beam is carrying is 4.5kN/m, and the span is 2.91m, then the total load is 13.1kN. This has to be increased by the required 'safety factor' which in this case is 1.4, therefore the total 'design' load on the beam is 13.1 x 1.4 = 18.3kN; the weight of the beam itself brings this up to a grand total of 19.4kN.
This means that the load each end (the 'reaction') on the pier is 19.4/2 = 9.7kN, which is peanuts.
I cannot for the life of me see why he has specified solid engineering bricks - cheap concrete commons or some reject facing bricks would do fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back