Building pier to support rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to build a 230 x 230mm pier as stated in the calculations by the SE in order to support an RSJ

This will then allow me to create an opening between the garage and dining room

I'll be purchasing a wall starter kit from screwfix so I can tie into the existing brickwork

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix...MIoteG_LvA5AIVhbHtCh1NHAQdEAQYAiABEgKVAvD_BwE

Regarding the starter kit at what intervals do the fixings need to be placed onto the brickwork?

Is the wall starter kit fixed to the wall at a certain points? or at ground level to take up the first course of bricks?

Also when building the pier, I'll be using solid engineering bricks, is it best to fill the centre with mortar as i go along or after the pier is completed?

A 4:1 mix will be used to construct the pier

The pier will be approx 1.5 meters high

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wall starters are not for piers transferring loads.

1.5m high? Do you live in The Shires?

The rest of your post makes no sense - 230 pier, fill centre, fix starter at ground level (wall within house). o_O

Apart from that, you're good to go.

Wall starters are not for piers transferring loads.

1.5m high? Do you live in The Shires?

The rest of your post makes no sense - 230 pier, fill centre, fix starter at ground level (wall within house). o_O

Apart from that, you're good to go.

The pier will be within the house, the drawing states construct 220wd x 100dp engineering brick pier

The beam is 203x102x23 UB

apologies it was a rough guess the height of the existing wall is 2.28 metres, so this will be the height of the pier

How can i tie into the existing brick work if i cannot use a wall starter?

The SE stated to use a wall starter kit

Drawing below
https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/img_20190908_105455.103258/

That engineer is an idiot. I guarantee that that pier will crack. It should be bonded in to the existing wall.

Why has he not designed it without a pier? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
That engineer is an idiot. I guarantee that that pier will crack. It should be bonded in to the existing wall.

Why has he not designed it without a pier? :rolleyes:

He said there isn't sufficient space to do it without a pier as the existing rsj would be in the way and also there is not enough overhang of the existing rsj to place the new rsj above it

So wall ties in this case is not an acceptable way of tieing into the existing brickwork and placing an rsj above the pier?

He did mention toothing out the existing brickwork and integrating the new pier into it, but having looked at the brickwork he said it would be best to use a wall starter kit

He said there isn't sufficient space to do it without a pier as the existing rsj would be in the way and also there is not enough overhang of the existing rsj to place the new rsj above it
If he was a proper engineer then surely he would have designed a connection to the existing beam.

Was he a real structural engineer CbuildE?

If he was a proper engineer then surely he would have designed a connection to the existing beam.

Was he a real structural engineer CbuildE?

I'm not sure how he could have designed a connection if there isn't sufficient space etc also i guess it would be a lot more disruption involved

He was recommended to me by a friend, he is definitely a proper engineer. All the paperwork provided is on company headed paper.

I'm happy to build the pier but would like to know what would be the best method to tie into the existing brickwork?

My BCO was not happy with a wall tie in a similar situation, so I doubt yours will be!

So did you tooth it in to the existing wall?

I've looked at the existing wall, its a single skin brick, if i recollect correctly, this was the reason the SE advised I couldn't tooth it in, as there's not enough support

How about a bracket?

But was he a proper SE or not?

100% He is a proper SE, all on headed paper, registered company etc

The application has been approved by building control

But having sought advice here, i really don't want to be building a pier if its going to potentially crack!

Could you provide an example of how the bracket would work? and where would it be placed?

I'll be calling the SE tomorrow to discuss...

So did you tooth it in to the existing wall?

I've looked at the existing wall, its a single skin brick, if i recollect correctly, this was the reason the SE advised I couldn't tooth it in, as there's not enough support
I didn't in the end, as found another way to support the beam, but the BCO wanted it toothed in

Edit, mine wasn't single skin

Last edited:
I didn't in the end, as found another way to support the beam, but the BCO wanted it toothed in

Edit, mine wasn't single skin

Although my application has been approved, I'll call the BCO tomorrow to run it past them.

The only significant load on the pier will be the bedroom wall and the rsj which it will sit on.

I just hope the SE is reasonable and carries out any adjustments/alternative solution as necessary without me having to part with more money!

Spoke to BCO explained the situation and provided images of the existing wall

BCO stated wall starter kit is fine to tie into the existing wall!

He recommended to use 2 wall ties for either leaf

I also asked whether i should use class A or B solid engineering bricks, he said either will be fine as long as they are solid :)

How have you got 2 leaves,the drawing shows 1 brick only,which is not enough. Better to build bigger pillar 330mmx215 or use steel goalpost ,and make sure foundation is acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back