Breeze block foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm starting garden renovations and want to build a one breeze block high ornamental wall which will eventually have fascia tiles on it. Currently there are thick concrete paving slabs on the ground. Would it be prudent to build this one block high wall on those slabs? Behind them the space will be infilled with soil prior to turfing. Indian sandstone slabs cut to breeze block size will be placed on the top to finish it off.

Sponsored Links
The slabs will be at risk from weather induced ground movements and hence ditto the wall. However since you would need to have foundations at 600mm plus it doesn't make sense to go to such cost/extremes for such a structure, so yes it is prudent to build off your slabs but dont expect it to stay in pristine condition over the coming years

The slabs will be at risk from weather induced ground movements and hence ditto the wall. However since you would need to have foundations at 600mm plus it doesn't make sense to go to such cost/extremes for such a structure, so yes it is prudent to build off your slabs but dont expect it to stay in pristine condition over the coming years
Thats what I was thinking generally, thanks. I'm thinking of trying to strengthen the slabs I build on with mortar ... it may not have the desired effect over time, but as you say, its a lot of time effort and cost to put in fottings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back