Bribes to give up smoking.

Sponsored Links
You can always start again if you want to make a few bob.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
You get £12.50 per week if you give it up. Good idea or more silliness? I must admit it beats me how people in true poverty can afford a £30 fag habit each week.

It sounds like silliness to me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Let's look at this logically. If you currently spend £30 a week on fags you'll be £30 a week better off if you give up. If the NHS also gives you £12-50p a week for giving up, you'll be £42-50p a week better off. Alternatively, the government could put up the tax on fags such that a week's supply now costs £42-50p and give the money to the NHS. :) :) :)

What it comes down to is this: How expensive does an addictive drug like nicotine have to get before you grit your teeth and go through the undoubted misery of giving it up? :confused: :confused: :confused: If your fags cost you £300 a week would you give them up - or would you seriously consider robbing a bank! :eek: :eek: :eek:

how would you police such an idea
how long after stopping do the payments last
if it stops people smoking then it can only be a good thing

how would you police such an idea
how long after stopping do the payments last
if it stops people smoking then it can only be a good thing

I agree it can only be a good thing if it encourages people to stop smoking, and the answers to your questions are in the link.

Participants in a 12-week scheme will be given £12.50 a week by NHS Tayside if a carbon monoxide breath test proves they have not been smoking.

The scheme is similar to a project used by the trust to encourage pregnant women to give up smoking.

Should you need a cash incentive not to make your unborn child ill or deformed? What kind of society is this?

I have to go to the stop smoking clinic every 2 weeks or so and have to blow into a carbon monoxide machine which measures the amount of CO in my body to see if I have been cheating.

If I pass I get a prescription for the nicotine inhaler which I am finding a godsend.

I would love to light one up though! :(

I hope my missus doesn't find out there's a machine to see if I've been cheating. I like a 'bit of a blow'.

joe-90 said:
Should you need a cash incentive not to make your unborn child ill or deformed? What kind of society is this?

I know somebody who deliberately smoked right through her pregnancy so that the baby would be smaller and easier to deliver! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back