Brick/breeze/concrete blocks shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I need some advice regarding building brick,concrete and thermalite blocks. I have done a rough plan for my shed as shown below.

upload_2021-5-24_17-16-49.png

How deep should the foundations be? Does a Council inspector have to come and check the depth?
Does the height of 290cms, comply with building regulations as it is under 3m?

I would like the shed to have red bricks along the front and one side which is visible. The back and the other side can be concrete blocks as it won't be visible from my garden. Do I need a double skin for brick walls? Perhaps have breeze blocks behind it for support and to save money. My builder keeps saying I should use thermalite blocks as concrete blocks are heavy and would need 18inch foundation. I find thermalite blocks do crack and can't drill screws as it crumbles.

For the double thickness wall, does there need to be a gap between the walls or can they be tightly adjacent to each other?

I have tram line at the back and my single skin brick 6ft fence wall has shown cracks at regular intervals. So, I don't want the same to happen to the shed.
Our single skin 6 foot brick wall has long cracks running along from the top to the bottom. I suppose the vibrations of the tram and previously trains cause these cracks.

The shed is primarily going to be used for storage. I am getting the floor and the ceiling insulated. I may insulate the walls later on if I want to use it as a workroom few years down the line

Not sure of the roof. Would prefer a tiled roof? A steep drop is preferable as it would prevent rainwater puddling, but I suspect it won’t be very steep due to the size of the depth.

For the inside walls, do I need plasterboards attached to the concrete/breeze blocks and then does it need to be plastered and painted?

The windows and the door will be PVC. Do I need a stronger door?

Rainwater will flow from the gutter into my flower bed. Will that be Ok or do I need a soak away built? I know that would cost more.

There was electricity in the old wooden shed and is still currently situated in the same position.
The shed was on a concrete base, although it's much smaller and will now have to be removed.

Any ideas as to how much this would cost for labour and separately how much would the materials cost? How long would it take to build?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Building regs:

Less than 15 sq metres no need for building regs
Between 15 and 30 it needs to comply with regs if closer than a metre from the boundary
Over 30 it needs building regs
No if over 15 and less than 1 metre to boundary, it must be made in non combustible material.
(All internal)

Planning
If less than 2 metres from boundary it must be below 2.5m for PD or you need planning.

If building in brick and or block you need a cavity wall to stop damp.

Or build Single skin but cover with battens and then timber cladding or render board

Given the trams I think I would make in timber frame - it can still be rendered outside.

I think the vibration will lead to cracks

My shed would be approx 5.4864m x 3.8m = 20.845m.
The picture shows the boundary fence with my next door neighbour. Behind the wall is alleyway and tram.
upload_2021-5-24_18-19-35.jpeg

It's the end of the corner garden for both me and my next door neighbour.

Sponsored Links
Given the trams I think I would make in timber frame - it can still be rendered outside.
I think the vibration will lead to cracks

When you say timber frame, do you mean timber frame behind the concrete blocks? Do concrete blocks crack?

I would also go with timber frame and rendered. I have done this twice in the past and I'm currently doing the same with my side extension.

Attachments

• IMG_20180719_105950066_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180719_105950066_HDR.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20210424_183726646.jpg
    IMG_20210424_183726646.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 1,764
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
You don't comply with the above, so will need Planning.

Also, unless you plan for someone to live in it a brick/block double skinned shed is overkill.

When you say timber frame, do you mean timber frame behind the concrete blocks

No, just timber frame.

You can build in 4x2 to make the frame, use OSB for sheathing, then cover with breathable membrane, then vertical battens, then cement renderboard which can be rendered.

Inside you can put celetex in between the studwork.

The dimensions you have shown will not give a steep roof.

It will give a roof with an angle of about 10 degrees if my pythagoras isn't too rusty.

That is too shallow to use tiles or slates I think...

I would also go with timber frame and rendered. I have done this twice in the past and I'm currently doing the same with my side extension.

How much would a structure like this cost for my size shed - Labour + Materials separately ?

Also, how long would it last?

How deep would be the foundations?

Last edited:
The dimensions you have shown will not give a steep roof.

It will give a roof with an angle of about 10 degrees if my pythagoras isn't too rusty.

That is too shallow to use tiles or slates I think...

Someone else mentioned that. Would that slope be enough for the rain water to adequately drain away. My nextdoor neighbour has a very slight slope on his breeze block shed and the rain water often puddles in the middle. They have replaced their felt roof many times.

Someone else mentioned that. Would that slope be enough for the rain water to adequately drain away. My nextdoor neighbour has a very slight slope on his breeze block shed and the rain water often puddles in the middle. They have replaced their felt roof many times.
1 in 40 is min for felt.

I would say you would need at least 15 degrees, but steeper would be better

Hello,
How much would a structure like this cost for my size shed - Labour + Materials separately ?

Also, how long would it last?

How deep would be the foundations?

Where are you based? Would you like to give me a quote for my shed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back