Brick Built Porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

I've followed a number of projects on the forum and admired everyone getting stuck in and creating some amazing spaces etc, but now is the time for me to try one of my own!

I'm hoping to create a brick built porch on the front of our 1970's semi-detached property, as the front is very flat and characterless.

The new porch will only be quite small and project out from the property approximately 800mm x 1600mm wide.

I'm by no means experienced in job such as this and haven't laid many bricks, however, i'm fairly handy and hope if I take my time I should be ok.

There's just a few queries that I would like to clarify, as I understand the most important part in any project is in the planning.

Based upon the porch being built of brick and block, i'm intending to construct a footing that is 600mm wide by 450mm deep. Do you think this is sufficient for normal ground conditions?

Can you start a wall using wall starters if the newly laid bricks are laid 90 degrees to the original wall (if that makes sense)?

I'm intending to have a 70mm cavity to try and maximise internal space, therefore will 50mm kinspan fixed to the internal skin of blockwork be ok?

Has anyone had experience of trying to match reclaimed (imperial) bricks up to metric bricks on the main structure? I know this isn't ideal with my limited bricklaying experience, but I want to make the porch a focal point and love reclaimed bricks.

Sorry to go on, but i'm keen to get it clear in my mind, so I can hopefully make a good job of it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would say 450 mm deep is a bit much for a free standing single storey (assumed) porch. Remember the only thing attaching this to your house will be the starter bars, which are simply screwed to the existing wall.
I would say 200 > 250 mm would be adequate and yes 50 mm insulation in a 75 mm cavity will do at a push, better 45 mm foil faced, just make sure you use the correct ties and insulation clips and checked/half lap joints to minimize cold bridging...pinenot :)

For the depth of your foundation, be guided by the depth of the existing house foundation; as for the width, 600 is probably too wide, try 450?

Why have any insulation in the porch? Just do a normal clear 50mm cavity (or even narrower) and save some space.

800x1600 seems a bit on the small side - go a bit bigger otherwise you might regret it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back