Building a porch (wall depth)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to build a porch onto the front of my 1930's semi.

Currently the front of the house has an "open porch" wherby the front door is set back.

The porch will be 1.25m deep and 2.4m wide with a pitched roof, one window and a door (possibly double)

My question is how wide should I build the walls - obviously don't need brick and cavity for insulation purposes etc so what would you suggest?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My question is how wide should I build the walls - obviously don't need brick and cavity for insulation purposes etc so what would you suggest?

Thanks
Why not, it won’t cost that much more! It will keep it dry & helps insulate the house behind what was the original front door. I did more or less the same with a similar sized open porch except it had a single skin garage wall on one side. I had a DP membrane & screed floor laid, 800mm high, insulated cavity wall built on the other side & either side of the new front door, fixed foil backed plaster board to the garage wall & plastered the whole lot. DG windows are fitted on one side & either side of the new door, ceramic tiles on the floor & some white paint on the original T&G timber ceiling. It’s nice & dry but cold in winter & you can hang coats in there without fear of damp; we can also now turn the radiator in the inner hall right down as it doesn’t loose so much heat.

I was really just thinking for size, i.e. to keep under the 3 sqm floor area, having measured up I reckon it should be ok as you say.

Cheers

If you are thinking of 3m2 to avoid the need for planning permission, then the 3m2 is external area not floor area.

There is nothing wrong with a single wall in a sheltered location, but a 225mm wall with give more protection from moisture ingress - or dry-line a single skin wall

Sponsored Links
If you are thinking of 3m2 to avoid the need for planning permission, then the 3m2 is external area not floor area.

There is nothing wrong with a single wall in a sheltered location, but a 225mm wall with give more protection from moisture ingress - or dry-line a single skin wall

Sorry, I did appreciate that, hence externally it'll be 1.25 x 2.4

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back