Building a thin porch wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I hope someone can help with this question.
I'm looking to build a porch and want to minimise the thickness of the wall. Is there a way of doing this that will optimise heat retention without building an insulated cavity wall? I want to build the porch onto the side of my house and there is only about 163cm to the boundary wall. I'll need to leave some access to the back, say 60cm wide. If I build a 27.5cm thick wall i'm left with only a 75cm wide porch.
Many thanks

Jono

Sponsored Links
There is no magical answer to your problem only that use the best insulation that you can.

Porches are usually unheated spaces, however adding insulation will reduce the risk of mould etc. Something like 105mm masonry, 50mm celotex glued to the walls, tape/foam all joints, 50mm x 50mm stud framing fitted tight against the insulation and fixed through or fixed to the floor and ceiling.

Adding more between the studs is an option prior to plaster-boarding.

Building the wall(s) from Hemp blocks would provide you with your needs,

View media item 60264

Thermal conductivity: 0.36 (structural) and 0.11 (thermal) W/mK ...pinenot

Sponsored Links
Please forgive noseall, he can't help it he's neanderthal. ;)

Where would he get these hemp blocks from? I've not seen any recently at our TP yard. And how much would they cost?

Yes where can we get this from? I'd love to build a hemp block wall on the front of my nice brick house

I'm looking to build a porch and want to minimise the thickness of the wall.

You need to throw us a bone.

Do you want timber or masonry, what type of porch, how much glass etc

I don't know why you want an insulated porch anyway. Normally, a half or one brick thick wall will do

Building the wall(s) from Hemp blocks would provide you with your needs,
Thermal conductivity: 0.36 (structural) and 0.11 (thermal) W/mK ...pinenot

Out of curiosity Pinenot, with regard to Hemp blocks do you know what a K value of (0,11W/mK) is in relation to a (R value m2K/W) and a (U value (W/m2K)?
Do you know the strength (N) or the density (kg//m2) of Hemp block?
Do you know the lambda of Durox superblock, Thermalite turbo or Topblock superblock?
If you do, then why write such rubbish?.
Regards oldun

Instead of negative reverberations, I wish some would learn to embrace the future and stop bleating on like the sheep they emulate. Let me ask YOU have you ever had an original thought or the ability to think outside the box or are simply a plodder of same all same all. It beggars belief that people like YOU are still peddling the same old dirge, when there's a modern vibrant solution driven industry awaiting competent people like YOU to lead forward not backwards as at present :(

Tell us how, in practical terms, the OP can build a wall as thin as possible and be weather proof, and be aesthetically pleasing using these hemp blocks

Instead of negative reverberations, I wish some would learn to embrace the future and stop bleating on like the sheep they emulate.

pinenot;
It's not a case of 'not thinking outside the box', it's down to practicalities.
Building a porch out of these hemp things would be worse than useless.

1. how would you stop the damp getting in?
2. what would it save in terms of energy? (a porch is usually un-heated. If the OP wanted to save energy, it would be far more cost-effective to put an extra 4" loft insulation in.)
3. it would look dreadful.

Thinking outside the box is one thing, but you are getting a bit too far away from that box

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back