Brick built workshop consumer unit

I have never looked into it either, but that definitely makes sense. The description for the contactum ones on TLC says:

Smaller rated fuses can be fitted in fuse units. Subject to body size

So it would seem some are the same size, and others differ? I'm sure somebody knows for sure

Sponsored Links
I have never looked into it either, but that definitely makes sense. The description for the contactum ones on TLC says:

Smaller rated fuses can be fitted in fuse units. Subject to body size

So it would seem some are the same size, and others differ? I'm sure somebody knows for sure

Manufacturers differ but you often find for switchfuses like mem
AAO fuses for smaller sizes up to 32 amp
BAO fuses for 40amp and 63 amp

both have 73.5 mm fixing centres but some makers use a fat body whilst others are thinner

Sponsored Links
The more I research into this, the more it grabs my interest. To that end, I am now looking into taking the neccesary courses to enable me to legally work and certify my work in my home. The problem I am having is all the courses I have seen are full time (working hours) course which is not practical as I work full time as a elec/mech technician. Do you guys know of any distance learning/online/home learning courses where the majority of the course can be done at hours to suit my shift work? I realise I will have to attend somewhere at some point for practicals/tests.

The thing is it's not just the qualifications you need.

You'll have to register with one of the Competent Person schemes (around £500 every year).

You'll have to take out Professional Liability Insurance because even though you don't need it for DIYing you have to have it to register.

You'll need calibrated test equipment (hired is no good).

And you will actually have to pass the assessment, which means being able to walk the walk not just talk the talk regarding testing, and show examples of your work, not all of which can be trivial. You'll have to do that every year too.

It'll never be worth it compared to the cost of notifying.

Do the training - that's an excellent idea (avoid commercial courses - your local college will be a lot cheaper), but don't bother with self-certification status.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back