Brick coursework varies in gauge front to rear of house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

The new extension's brickwork will be gauged with that of the existing.

But what do you do when the brick coursework varies by 33mm from front to back . I've double checked this with a laser level. All I can imagine is the house wasn't built exactly level.

If I gauge the brickwork at the the front and build perfectly level by the time I get to the back I'll be more or less 1/2 a brick out.

Is this a problem builders come across especially on older buildings or where there has been subsidence.

What do the pros do?

Sponsored Links
Ged,

My house (1940's build) is exactly the same. in the end i did the brickwork at the front of the house in line with the original. That is the most noticable area.

At the back, it did run out a little. I checked the footings and also the build upto DPC and i had only lost 5mm over 18 meters which i thought was pretty good and acceptable.

I have a picture somewhere that i will post to show you but to be honest, i have seen 3 other extensions built in my area recently where the bricks dont run in line.

My bricks are old imperial 75mm and not the more modern 65mm so i had to pay a little more for the old spec ones.

wall2.jpg

I’ve just rebuilt the front wall of a 1960’s extension to a 1960’s house. Where the extension abutted the house, there were originally 2 timber framed doors (no bricks) but these were to be bricked up. After knocking the front w all out & throwing some levels from the opposite corner, the course line turned out to be ½ a brick out where it abuts the house. No evidence of subsidence & it was also like this down at the DPC & below so I can only assume they weren’t that fussy back in the 60’s. All you can really do is to try position the difference where it will be noticed the least; sometimes you can locate a new gutter down pipe in front of the join!

Sponsored Links
Weren`t that fussy :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Thousand a day (bricks).....on the road to a fortune ;) Absolute SHYTE was thrown up in the 60`s and ££££££££££££made by some....BUT there were some Good craftsmen about and I`m proud to say I followed 2 of them ,My dad and his dad.......and Guess what, I`m just as poor .relatively as they were:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back