Brick damage repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having some new windows fitted and the installer broke the corner off one of the bricks ..... https://flic.kr/p/2n6AfYJ

I don't want to cut the brick out and replace .. too messy

On stone cills & headers, they advise mixing stone dust with PVA to make a thick paste and use that to 'patch any small damage'

Anybody know if that would work on brick ? or an alternative method.

Sponsored Links
You can fill with sand and cement and then use a dilute PVA and sika cement tone mix to "colour" the cement to match the brick colour. The downside you need to buy more than one colour to blend it in.

https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/sika-tone-buff-1kg

Alternatively, mix the primary colour in with the mortar.

Stone dust in PVA alone will just slump down. Fine for a 2mm imperfection though.

Anybody know if that would work on brick
Yeah, works for about as soon as the bodger has left site, or one winter if you're lucky.

If you have the chip, you could stick it back on with clear silicone, but I suspect that anything you try there will look a lot worse than it does now. It wont harm to leave it as is.

I know it is not structurally unsound ... just annoying and will attract my eye each time I pass.
Its almost like I need a clear epoxy or similar I can mix in with brick dust

Sponsored Links
I know it is not structurally unsound ... just annoying and will attract my eye each time I pass.
Its almost like I need a clear epoxy or similar I can mix in with brick dust

My recommendation is based on having watched a very good brick pointer who occasionally uses the technique that I described when the damage is too small to justify pulling the whole brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back