Chipped bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

A bit of a problem with out bricks. I am using the Dapple Lights (to match existing) and it seems we have 20% or more wastage as they chip so easily, they arrive with defects/damaged. We use a forklift to minimise handling but still I estimate we have taken out 20% or more. Unfortunately the bricklayers have used a few chipped bricks here and there and the nature of these bricks is they reveal an orange colour under the cracks/chips which is very ugly to look at.

Is there a method of repairing those small chips , some chemical method perhaps, because the alternative might be to try to take the brick out from the wall which can cause damage to the surrounding bricks as they are very, very delicate on their facing surface.

Sponsored Links
Probably the best way would be to use a brick stain on the orange bits if they look that bad. 20% is high, 5% is more acceptable.

Get the rep out and demand replacements - that is as long as the builder's are not banging the bricks about :cautious:

I called up and asked for refund, they asked for photos, so I sent them photos of unopened pallets showing the smashed bricks, they said they wanted to see photos of the discarded bricks and they also want them back... They are not being nice. Still waiting to hear.

Sponsored Links
I called up and asked for refund, they asked for photos, so I sent them photos of unopened pallets showing the smashed bricks, they said they wanted to see photos of the discarded bricks and they also want them back... They are not being nice. Still waiting to hear.
That doesn't sound unreasonable. There are lots of chancers who would try and use a few damaged bricks to get a free pallet or two of replacements.

If you don't get anywhere with the supplier/manufacturer (I've heard the figure of 10% being acceptable for wastage), you should be able to hide a fair few - for cuts round openings, if you have a side wall below a boundary fence, and at the top off the walls where they'll be covered by the soffits.

In the end, I was given one pallet for free, even though we have discarded maybe 2.5 pallets (out of 15 pallets delivered so far). We received 3 pallets a few days ago, the builders called to say the bricks were mostly undamaged, so it seems the previous ones were damaged on transport, as we had to go up and down the country to get them.

We can use the slightly chipped ones high up on the gables where you cannot see very much. And I will touch up a few chipped bricks that have escaped the attention of the bricklayers and made it into my walls.

We can use the slightly chipped ones high up on the gables where you cannot see very much
Just where they will be most exposed too! :rolleyes: You'll probably get to see them in a couple of winters. :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back