brick laying jobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finding it extremely difficult to get on site, ive got 2 years college training but no onsite experiance.
I've approached many sites and contractors asking for a job as a bricky but no luck. ive even offered my self for free, work without pay so i could pluck up some experiance but still NO.

Any advice anyone.

Sponsored Links
work is shight everywhere atm unless your gifted with the gab and even then you are most likely talking 99% BS.
Unfortuantley alot of the jobs that are on offer are temp (through agencies) and they are only looking for timeserved chaps with all there own tools who will work for pennies.

You could always ring one of these "business's" up when you see a job posted by them, tell them what they want to here and with abit of luck you might land on site with a cheerful site agent aswell as other brickies.

The problem is im not in a postion to over sell my self. I havent got any experiance in building or bricklaying apart from college. Besides im not gifted witha gab which further reduces my chance's.

its a sad harsh fact of today's times in britain, years of external imported labour neglected the youth of gaining experiance.
We at a stage now that unless these sites give us you a chance to train then we'll always be at the mercy of imported labour!

yes thats true, i myself will be over in a poor eastern eu country in a few weeks on 2x the amount of good money over here. Given the fact i have no experience in the side of work i will be doing, i will be given the chance to learn and to know how to do the job right.

As i said, tell these "respected" employers exactly what they want to here, when once on site after sucesfully blagging your way through the middleman you might get lucky and be teamed up with said bricky who will give you a hand with your way of business.
The money will be shight (the local dogs body will be most likely on more money then yourself) however in the future this will not be the case.

And they wonder why the uk is ****ed

Sponsored Links
I'm finding it extremely difficult to get on site, ive got 2 years college training but no onsite experiance.
I've approached many sites and contractors asking for a job as a bricky but no luck. ive even offered my self for free, work without pay so i could pluck up some experiance but still NO.

Any advice anyone.
You need a time machine back to 1971 and a ticket to Sussex - bloody place was alive with work . apprenticeships given away with cornflakes packets - hoddies picking up a trowel and being shown the ropes - now living in £half mill. self built houses :eek: Forget the sites , M8 try and find a jobbing builder , maybe evn try @ spreading/rendering to add a string to your bow - I sincerely wish you luck ;)

Have you got a couple of spare quid?? If so then build yourself or a family member a nice brick barbeque and take some photos of it, make up some fliers with pics, you details and put them around, letterboxes, shop windows ect, see how that does for you, wont cost alot.

thats a good idea, thought of that a while back. But lost hope at the end.
any illustrations of barbeques? havent made one before

im a plasterer have been for 8 years.
its **** lads you try telling a single mum thats £120 days work yer right
(now your the mad one)
as for rendering/plastering if you never done it your fcked even as a lab
most spreads are looking for some one that can flatten in behind
them.
and work for fck all now days
rendering is donky work like screeding
sorry too **** on your chips m8 but the building game is shaged
try too get on the ball as a gen lab on site tea boy sweeper uper some ones bitch.
think about it its one foot in the door get in there now then when the summer's here
and the brickys start getting on site you can make your self known too them
at lunch they will probs be looking for a hoddy/lab

when i was on site in 2009 work driyed up for the spreads house's wernt going up quick
soo i started as a fork lift driver working for the brickys/scaffs/roofers
runing about all day from 5am till 6pm still i was on site thats the mane thing

The building game is the best and worst place to work, and you get best and worst people and best and worst of companies. Its very difficult to find the good places/sites to learn on at the best of times and virtually no chance at times like these.

The problem you will get diy001, is that if you get on a crap site with crap blokes you will learn crap. But if crap is all there is, is it better than nothing? Would you know the difference?

You need to persevere, and keep asking around. You could consider taking a labouring job or such like if it will get your foot in the door, and then you will get some experience and possibly be available at the right time when an opportunity comes.

But don't be abused. Fair enough if you want to work for free to learn, but you must get something out of it not just being an unpaid lackey.

Don't give up, as in a year or two, when things do pick up, there will be money to be made

woody would you not agree that the best for diy001 to learn his trade, especially at this time, is on site and to blag his way through the employers offering such jobs?
Last time i was on site they were setting up there lazer level maboble for a good hour, would of taken ten mins with a string line ;)

Best time for it to imo as a good few old schools are on site, tell 'em what you want to do and they will give there best advice. Make what you want of it.

Yes, you can't beat proper site work for experience of the trade, other trades and learning from many different people.

No offence to domestic builders or brickies, but they do tend to be limited in quality and experience as all they have worked on is small jobs, with the same people.

Learn what you can from the old boys. Its dead boring working with them if you are young, but what you do learn carries you through the rest of your life.

When the work drops off, and flash Harry who made a bit of money building straight walls is out of work as that is all he knows, you can jump on some other work.

and be appreciative with it aswell,no 1 likes a smart ass.

when i first started out(carpenter)and i was working with the old ens,i always showed gratitude to them for sharing with me there knowledge and advice.

you dont,and they wont help you at all.

Sponsored Links
Back