brick lintel question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

not really sure if this should be in here or windows and doors section

i am looking to replace our old wooden windows with upvc but at the back of the house for a lintel they have used bricks in a straight line like this

//www.diynot.com/network/alci4/albums/2125/8058
//www.diynot.com/network/alci4/albums/2125/8060

on the larger downstairs windows they have arched them so there is no weight on the windows like this

//www.diynot.com/network/alci4/albums/2125/8056

does anyone know if i take the window out from under the straight bricks will the bricks stay in place or is this a replacement lintel job for all the back windows

have done front windows with arched bricks sweet as a nut

could i use a lets say 4" piece of wood across the front of the window held in place with blocks drilled into the wall either side to hold the bricks in place till i replace the windows?

many thanks for any help or advice you can offer

Sponsored Links
When timber windows were replaced with plastic the brickwork sometimes dropped a little putting enough pressure on the glass to break it. It usually happened with wider frames. The original frames were strong enough to take the weight. If you are replacing them yourself you should really go through Building Control.

When timber windows were replaced with plastic the brickwork sometimes dropped a little putting enough pressure on the glass to break it. It usually happened with wider frames. The original frames were strong enough to take the weight. If you are replacing them yourself you should really go through Building Control.

hi m8

thjanks for reply

what do you mean go through Building Control?

By the looks of things, there is not much load on the frames.

The wall is 1 brick thick and so those headers will go straight across. There is a good chance that they will self support while the frame is replaced.

But you'll have to check the mortar to check the chances.

Fixing timber to the front wont necessarily help as if the bricks are loose, then they will possibly tip from the back.

The thing with inserting a lintel, is that the whole brick will have to come out - messing up the internal plaster.

Sponsored Links
alci4,
Your question about Building Control. When you replace windows nowadays you need to inform them at your L/A unless they are installed by a member of a self certification scheme such as FENSA.
If you don't take this route the only real problem that you could have is if a surveyor picks it up when you come to sell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back