Brick or sleepers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I'm laying a slab path up the edge of the grass and to the door, Im going to need a retainer wall all be it a small one.

The wall is going to curve round to the left hand side of door to accomodate some steps.

Would you use a brick wall or railway sleepers? Obviously sleepers would be easier for me as im no bricky but wondering what peoples opinions are.

Heres a picture

garden1.jpg

cheers

Sponsored Links
Never really understood what is the attraction for putting contaminated railway sleepers in a garden :confused:

Never really understood what is the attraction for putting contaminated railway sleepers in a garden :confused:

True!
In hot weather, bitumin leeches out of old railway sleepers as well. If you get that on your clothes/skin,, it's not good, even worse if there's kids around. Have a go at building a small brick wall, you'll enjoy it.
I think the pic/link that "r896neo" put up looks great,,, a nice finish to the chipped border/garden path. ;)

Sponsored Links
Looks like bricks it is then. Will a single skin be ok? The wall won't be very high and I'll have to stagger it higher to the door as the garden slopes.

What could I put on top of the walk to finish it off? Black brick Mabe?

With the curbs, how high can they go as up to the door one point may be 0.5 meter high.

Thanks for the picture, looks really nice. I'm a bit worried though as I've never laid a brick before!

yea the curbs can be built like bricks but don't look great when done like that.

Your probably better going with the brick if you need that much height. Watch a few videos etc first as it will help if you've never watched anyone laying bricks.

It's not that hard especially when not going too high.

Excellent, i'll go for something like in the picture you posted. Whats the best thing to do reguaring footings? Scalpings, cement ect.

for a small wall like that you want a simple foundation a spade wide and about 4-6 inches thick. You obviously want to have the base level but if that is going to leave you with a really deep section to dig out at one end and very little at the other you can put a step in it but make the step the same height as a brick plus mortar.

Have a look at a basic guide somewhere and come back if you have any specific queries.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back