What cement mix to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to bed in sleepers, with cement, for the edge of a paved path and to edge some steps, the sleepers will be walked on.

I think I need them to be secure like a brick wall would be at the bottom, so that I can fill the space between them with Type 1, compact and then lay my paving.

What mix of cement should I use i.e. what ratio cement to sand, presumably no gravel is used? should it be a moist or wet mix etc?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I am looking to bed in sleepers, with cement, for the edge of a paved path and to edge some steps, the sleepers will be walked on.

I think I need them to be secure like a brick wall would be at the bottom, so that I can fill the space between them with Type 1, compact and then lay my paving.

What mix of cement should I use i.e. what ratio cement to sand, presumably no gravel is used? should it be a moist or wet mix etc?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cement and sand = mortar
Mortar + gravel = Concrete

They can be bedded and haunched the same as any other edging, i.e. with concrete.

I personally steer away from wooden products that are in contact with the ground as I prefer my jobs to last. Modern 'sleepers' are pants and despite the fact that they are treated does not mean that they will not rot.

A lot depends upon how exposed the timber is and its location within the garden. You will often find that timber products last a heck of a lot longer if they are on the sunny warm side of a garden as opposed to those that are shaded and constantly damp.

The problem is timber stuff is easy to work with, easy to transport, and easy to fit. A real boon for diy'ers.

OK so a 80mm x 4:1 damp mortar mix would do the trick?

Yep pretty sunny and will get little foot fall.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back