brick quality these days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello can any of you builders or bricklayers tell me why the bricks arent very good quality these days or am i just buying crappy bricks??? i done a self build a few year ago and after a couple of winters the faces on some of the bricks were crumbling off,,,ive noticed this happening on other new houses after only a few year,,,ive owned houses over a hundred years old before and the bricks are in great condition,,,so why is it these modern bricks are crap???.....................

Sponsored Links
The construction industry is as susceptible as any other during a recession. Some bricks have been really waz. Post recession materials become scarce when big buyers start snapping up scarce materials, leaving the rubbish for smaller merchants.

Things will catch up and balance out eventually.

are all bricks the same or are some stronger than others etc??? i know when i was buying blocks for the internal walls you could get them in different strengths like 3 newton, or 5 newton etc etc,,,the best bricks i have ever seen are the old fire bricks which are the colour of ivory,,,mainly used on chimney stacks but ive seen and owned houses built with these and they look as good as the day they were layed even after a hundred years.............

Yeah, bricks are rated like anything else, but has more to do with absorbtion and crushing strengths. Another thing manufacturers highlight is efflorescent ratings, i.e. how much they are likely to bloom.

Bricks that are FL rated are frost resistant etc.

Sponsored Links
Could it be that in a lot of old houses the lack of insulation kept the bricks nice and dry and now with extra insulation the bricks get wet and frost damaged?

Could it be that in a lot of old houses the lack of insulation kept the bricks nice and dry and now with extra insulation the bricks get wet and frost damaged?

Insulation does have some effect, as has been noted when CWI has been put in.
Lime mortar in the older houses helped protect the brickwork as well.
However there are some really good quality modern bricks as well as others like LBC flettons which can spall easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back