Brick replacing wooden cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

You've been a great help before and need your help again please....

We own a 1960s house which has strange wooden cladding at the front (photo)

Behind this is simply a cavity created with wooden battens, silver paper and then fibreboard internally. No brick or blockwork at all.

How would I go about replacing with bricks?

Could we brick in front of the cladding to save removal and create a cavity? Would this be safe with not much to tie into?

Not sure what the best options are. Want to improve the aesthetics of the house and ensure safe and not creating any damp problems. Would really appreciate any advice.

Although it's also in the porch, we ARE going to simply fibreboard this area. It's the external wall the question refers to.

Thanks again.

Mark

Attachments

• 20170820_124425.jpg
    20170820_124425.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 768
  • 20170820_124441.jpg
    20170820_124441.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 485
Sponsored Links
Please note the brick course you can see under the cladding is one high only.

I love that cladding reminds me of a fun house at a fair.

Sponsored Links
Nooooo. It cannot stay, however much humour it provides.
Anyone able to help on the fix please ?

You should not really encase timber. Although it's larch and quite resilient, it could rot along with any frame if built in. It's not impossible to leave it if you take precautions with insulation and condensation, but it's a risk.

That tiled floor does not look like it will take the load from a brick panel. Again is not impossible to tie and reinforce any new brickwork, but it will need to be done by someone clued up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back