Brick Shed Leaking Behind fascia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my garden i have a large proper built brick shed with a tiled roof with guttering (looks like a mini house!)

(bear in mind i haven't got a clue - newbie!)

The problem im having is lately im having quite a bit of water running behind the fascia board down the wall.

Earlier i had a look at the roof/guttering and notice 2 things.

1) the flashing that overlaps into the guttering is quite worn. (infact its a small hole just above where the leak is running down the wall)

2) All the tiles seem fine apart from the first row. (neerest the gutter) they seem to be a slightly different angle to the other rows.where row 2 overlaps row 1 it make like a gap underneath. doesnt seem to be like that with any other rows.....

which of the 2 do you think it is?

thanks

i have put a pic of the water coming down the wall behind the fascia.
(in my album)

i couldnt get a pic of the roof because i had to stand on top of a bin to see the roof and didnt fancy doing it with a cam in my hand!!

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum wizza,
its difficult to give a definitive answer without pics of the roof but my guess would be a lack of projection into the gutter. or not enough cover on the tiles.

View media item 19943

Hi there,

Thank-you for the reply.

After weighing it all up today I took a chance and bought a tin of isoflex (liquid rubber)

When its not raining I will recoat the whole of the flashing that is coming from under the tiles, into the guttering.

On reflection I'm fairly sure that its this because of the heavy wear (and a hole) near where the leak is.

I will update with the outcome once I've done it. (Weather permitting ofcourse!)

Mark

well i reckon the bottom of the felt has rotted away and therefore the water is running short of the fascia and down your wall,a common problem and pretty simple to correct.

remove 1 or 2 rows of tiles(depends on the pitch of the roof and tile batten spacings).cut back the defective felt.check all timbers are in good nick,replace affected timbers.lay a strip of 6mm ply (prolly 200-250mm will suffice)flush with the fascia so it lays up the rafters on a slight slope.run a length of 300mm DPC along the eaves,approx 50mm overhanging the fascis.refit the tile battens if in good nick or replace.relay your tiles,sorted.

Sponsored Links
well i reckon the bottom of the felt has rotted away and therefore the water is running short of the fascia and down your wall,a common problem and pretty simple to correct.

my guess would be a lack of projection into the gutter. or not enough cover on the tiles.

why has the felt rotted at the eaves so quickly? the tiles aint doing their job due to lack of overhang into gutter......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back