Brick tinting-anybody tried it?

Sponsored Links
If you look at those Concos samples you will see that the total colour balance of the photo has changed.

Looks to me like it's more to do with tinting the picture than the house.

I'd want to see it in real life if I were you.

Thanks Joe

Jeds, looking at the dyebrick website it seems they just produce 10 standard clours (which can be lightened)

Somebody led me to believe that that concos actually colour match their paints, but it could be they do the same thing ie just lighten standard colours to get a match.

Anyway, if bricks can successfully be dyed/matched like this it brings me a dilemma. I'm having quite a big extension built very soon. The existing brick is very expensive to match ie something like £1.20/brick.

Would it be better then to just buy a cheaper brick and dye it to match?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My own job was an extension and loft conversion where we raised the ridge by about a metre. That left the top part of the gables a different colour to the original bricks. The only bricks I could find that were close in texture and shape were virtually white where our bricks are a creamy yellowey orange sort of colour. With Dybrick you make a base colour and you buy small pots of fixer which you mix with water. We used base colour plus 3 mixer pots which made up about a gallon of liquid. It goes a long way. That gallon did about 30 square metres and we still have about a third of it left. I started by painting it on brick by brick and ended up spraying it on with a garden sprayer. The walls and gables have blended in perfectly, The only place it's visible is the top of the chimney which is a bit off because the original part of the chimney was slightly darkened by smoke from the log fire. But even then people can only see it when I point it out to them.

Why is it not for trade use nor guaranteed to the trade? :confused:

My own job was an extension and loft conversion where we raised the ridge by about a metre. That left the top part of the gables a different colour to the original bricks. The only bricks I could find that were close in texture and shape were virtually white where our bricks are a creamy yellowey orange sort of colour. With Dybrick you make a base colour and you buy small pots of fixer which you mix with water. We used base colour plus 3 mixer pots which made up about a gallon of liquid. It goes a long way. That gallon did about 30 square metres and we still have about a third of it left. I started by painting it on brick by brick and ended up spraying it on with a garden sprayer. The walls and gables have blended in perfectly, The only place it's visible is the top of the chimney which is a bit off because the original part of the chimney was slightly darkened by smoke from the log fire. But even then people can only see it when I point it out to them.

Thanks Jeds. Looking at the 'white' bricks and the end result I must say it looks pretty impressive.

So if you were going to build a highly visible side extension (on a house built in1902) that needs about 7500 bricks which approach would you take?

1) Just try and match to the original bricks in terms of colour, knowing then that the texture may not quite be the same

2) Try and find the best brick in terms of shape and texture (no matter what the colour) and then dye them?

Thanks for your help.

Shape and texture is important close up. Colour is important from a distance. If you can match shape and texture really well and the bricks are lighter than the originals then I would probably go for tinting. Either way, and for that many bricks in a prominent position, I would test a couple of samples it first.

A good example is a neighbour who had to rebuild half a garage. Stood next to it the bricks are nothing like the originals. But from 20 yards away you wouldn't know.

I'm afraid I need to resurrect this thread. I thought I would run into problems with brick matching and I have :cry:

My extension is about to start and I'm struggling to find a brick that matches. It's a side extension that will face the street and so a very close match is essential.

I've been told the brick is a 'soft red' and it is imperial sized. As far as I can tell nobody really makes these anymore. Somebody did show me a new imperial soft red but the colour was way out.

I've been around a few reclamation yards and again no joy.

I'm waiting for another few samples, one from another big reclamation yard and a new brick from here

http://www.imperialhandmadebricks.co.uk/reclamation_soft_red.html

A few questions

1) Are there any pitfalls/problems with using reclaimed bricks?

2) If tinting is my only option can anybody else confirm Jed's positive experience?

Thanks

Presumably when you knock through your side wall in to the new extension you'll have a heap of these bricks available. If push comes to shove you could harvest these out first and put a temporary block wall in place. Then you'd use those old house bricks for the most visible elevations on your new extension.

Can you find any local people doing similar extensions that might have a pile of knock through bricks for sale? Depends how widespread your brick type is in your area, of course.

Gary

Thanks Gary.

There will be large knock throughs but I'm really not keen to have this done before the extension. I'll be living in the house all the way through the build and this will just cause more/longer disruption and mess for us.

On top of that the knock through is on the side where the bricks actually look a little different (due to weathering) to the front elevation.

Lastly I don't think the knock throughs will provide anywhere near enough bricks.

I appreciate your thoughts though :)

Hi everyone, I know this is a really old thread but i've been looking into brick tinting and found some new products, i've ordered the tester spray from liquidweather.co.uk but just checking if anyone else has tried it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back