Brick wall, breathability etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

The side of our house is a brick wall. It is also the back wall of the neighbour's garage. We quite recently moved in, there may have been some party wall agreement in place but nobody can find it.

The wall, visually at least, isn't in great condition. The neighbour now wants to put thermal insulation on this wall as he wants to develop his garage somewhat and turn it into a studio.

One of the issues at play is that we have some damp evident on the inside of our side wall. Not sure if the garage has anything to do with it.

What is the best course of action for us here? Should we argue that the back of the garage be left alone to aid breathability? Or should some sort of water proofing paint be added before the thermal insulation?

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
That damp is likely nothing to do with the neighbour and is not a reason for him not to do what he proposes.

Whether what he wants to do is a Party Wall matter though, which would allow him to do what he proposes is another matter.

It seems that that wall is not a Party Wall and your boundary is the external face of the wall, therefore it's your wall and he can't fix to it.

If it is a Party Wall, and the neighbour owns half, then fixing insulation to it is not a Party Wall matter, and he can insulate it without your consent.

Thanks!

I think it could be a party wall as the garage has been there a very long time, over 40 years.

I think the damp may have been something to do with the neighbour as the garage roof was in poor condition (no flashing, no gutterm possible gaps) and there were materials/metals resting against the wall since we moved avout a year ago. I can't be sure though, it's just a hunch.

*If* it is a party wall and that he can insulate it without our consent, would it be a good idea to insist on some sort of additional waterproofing (eg some sort of paint)? We are going to ask him to install guttering and flashing as well.

dont see there’s anything to be gained from his part.
is the wall exposed and subject to driving wind and rain?
is it a cavity wall?

Sponsored Links
Hi - thank you. It's not a cavity wall and it's not exposed (so this wall is his garage back wall, internal, and our house side wall, external).

I think it could be a party wall as the garage has been there a very long time, over 40 years
That's got nothing to do with it. A party wall is only a party wall if it fits the definition of one detailed in the Party Wall Act. If not, the Act can't be used, and it comes down to basic property law, boundaries and ownership.

One of the issues at play is that we have some damp evident on the inside of our side wall. Not sure if the garage has anything to do with it.

the garage roof might

could be rainfall

post some pics.

It's a little dim, but the thumbnail below is of our side wall looking inside the garage from pavement. The white rendered bit, and the bit below is our side wall. It looks in a bad way but the garage owner has cleaned it up a bit since the photo. I think what he plans to do now, having spoken with him yesterday, is that he will have some sort of thermal insulation (3cm?) then another wall which will be the back of his garage.

He is also adding a gutter to the garage roof and flashing.

It actually sounds OK to me, but I was quite shocked to see the state of that wall. Previously there were a lot of building materials in there leaning against the wall and I don't think the roof was in great condition which would have possibly let in rain.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 128

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back