Brick wall - Is this a sign of subsidence or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
What did your surveyor say when they assessed it prior to purchase? All the answers you want should be in his report, if you didn't get a survey done and relied upon the advice of a DIY site before purchase then I can only tell you one thing and that is that you could be spending ££££££ was the lack of a survey worth the gamble?

Sponsored Links
What did your surveyor say when they assessed it prior to purchase? All the answers you want should be in his report, if you didn't get a survey done and relied upon the advice of a DIY site before purchase then I can only tell you one thing and that is that you could be spending ££££££ was the lack of a survey worth the gamble?

We're in the process of buying it and the survey is being carried out.

Sorry it's just in your first post you said you have bought the house. You need to wait and see what the surveyor says, but do use your own surveyor and don't just rely on the banks survey as only they have a means for any comeback on that not you.

Sorry it's just in your first post you said you have bought the house. You need to wait and see what the surveyor says, but do use your own surveyor and don't just rely on the banks survey as only they have a means for any comeback on that not you.

we've spent £1000 already on a full structural survey with the bank, getting an additional survey is just too costly for a stage that might mean the purchase doesn't even go through.

we've spent £1000 already on a full structural survey with the bank, getting an additional survey is just too costly for a stage that might mean the purchase doesn't even go through.

But all your surveyor with say is 'you need another survey from an expert'..

No, there is no evidence of subsidence.

Did you actually read any of the things I typed in your previous post?

It looks to me like there may have been stone stone coins in the corner and rather than repair they have put some brick in?
Unlikely, as this would be indicative on the adjacent front elevation also.
What backs up my theory of a previous building being present is the evidence of sooted bricks showing at the bottom centre of the gable elevation.

Maybe an old fireplace?

Could be wrong on all counts of course. What is true though is that the side elevation brickwork is completely different to that of the front elevation and that it appears that it is of 'common' standard.

It also appears that higher up the gable, I.e. above window height, the brickwork resumes to best quality standard.
This may be that the demolished building was lower than its neighbour.

Very interesting thanks!

Here's a few more images to get a better idea of the property...

Is there some way of researching the history of the building? Because to me, there is strong evidence another building existed against that gable elevation. Mebbe one similar to the one on the other side.

No, there is no evidence of subsidence.

Did you actually read any of the things I typed in your previous post?

It looks to me like there may have been stone stone coins in the corner and rather than repair they have put some brick in?
Unlikely, as this would be indicative on the adjacent front elevation also.
What backs up my theory of a previous building being present is the evidence of sooted bricks showing at the bottom centre of the gable elevation.

Maybe an old fireplace?

Could be wrong on all counts of course. What is true though is that the side elevation brickwork is completely different to that of the front elevation and that it appears that it is of 'common' standard.

It also appears that higher up the gable, I.e. above window height, the brickwork resumes to best quality standard.
This may be that the demolished building was lower than its neighbour.

Very interesting thanks!

Here's a few more images to get a better idea of the property...

Is there some way of researching the history of the building? Because to me, there is strong evidence another building existed against that gable elevation. Mebbe one similar to the one on the other side.

The one on the other side is a recent extension. The interior of the cracked wall does have a working fireplace though.
I was told that the building is probably around 150+ years old, research doesn't bring much up though.

The front flank might have moved slightly from the gable wall as it's not really tied in properly. They used a smaller depth brick on the gable which makes it look worse.

Might an easy way be to dig a small hole where the other building possibly was? The founds may still be there... Or other detritus from it's demolition.

The one on the other side is a recent extension. The interior of the cracked wall does have a working fireplace though.
I was told that the building is probably around 150+ years old, research doesn't bring much up though.

No way is that building 150+ years old.

It has the style of a 1930/1940+ build not Victorian.

No way is that building 150+ years old.

It has the style of a 1930/1940+ build not Victorian.

Just going off of what I know about it. The original buildings on the street date back from 1700's. The house occupants included a 76 year old lady who passed away in 2009, she was born in that house. Before her parents moved in, it was a butchers shop. So it's definitely earlier than 1930.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back