Bricking up a lined fireplace - What vents are needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Opera Snapshot_2022-04-27_182104_www.google.com.png

1960/70 built property with an outside chimney (Walls on inside are flush) with a 10" (guess) tin lining. There was a Baxi installed but prior was a 'proper' fireplace.

i need to brick this up as its not wanted but is it adequate to drill a few good sized holes from the outside and place a vent over the opening?

Do I need to remove the concrete chimney insert or is it OK just to break through so air to liner unobstructed?

Sponsored Links
6x9 air brick top and bottom. You could leave the chimney uncapped, but it's normally good practice to cap it, or fit a top hat or cowl to stop things falling down the flue.

6x9 air brick top and bottom. You could leave the chimney uncapped, but it's normally good practice to cap it, or fit a top hat or cowl to stop things falling down the flue.

Top & Bottom?
of the stack?

And

Do I need to remove the fire back completely?

Top if you are capping the stack.

You don't need to remove the insert, but you should sweep the flue (if its sooty) and clear the opening of debris

Sponsored Links
Ok Thanks for that.

I had read that it always has to be an internal vent (Warm air Etc) which would spoil the lounge and prob be drafty

Last edited:
OP,
Perhaps you also have a fireplace in the bedroom - which would mean you have two flues in the chimney breast?
You would be better off simply blocking off the fireplaces, and inserting hit-&-miss vents in the blocking material.
Thats after sweeping the flues and cleaning out the fireplaces - leave the fireback alone.
No need to create possible future difficulties for yourselves or another owner by drilling from outside..
On top of the chimney stack redundant flue ventilation terminals should be fixed.

OP,
Perhaps you also have a fireplace in the bedroom -.
Perhaps you haven't got a clue ?:ROFLMAO: Any builder can tell there's no fireplace upstairs in that type and age of house, never mind tell.

Last edited:
OP,
Perhaps you also have a fireplace in the bedroom - which would mean you have two flues in the chimney breast?
You would be better off simply blocking off the fireplaces, and inserting hit-&-miss vents in the blocking material.
Thats after sweeping the flues and cleaning out the fireplaces - leave the fireback alone.
No need to create possible future difficulties for yourselves or another owner by drilling from outside..
On top of the chimney stack redundant flue ventilation terminals should be fixed.

Hi Tell80. I do not have a fireplace in the bedroom.

Thanks for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back