Bricking up a window- double block construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK this is more of a brickie question than a window one, but hey.
I have a very small window that needs to go, due to an internal layout change. I've removed the old wooden window frame and now it's time to brick up. The house is made from two leaves of concrete blocks with a cavity (which has been filled with blown insulation at a later date). The outside finish of the house is harling which is painted white.

1. Is it OK to cut blocks to fit the hole, or should I be removing half blocks at the edges?
2. The old concrete windowsill is still in place. Obviously I cannot lay blocks straight onto it because it is sloping. It also sticks out a few inches from the wall. So I guess I need to remove it completely- or can I take an angle grinder to it and cut it back? Bearing in mind everything will eventually be hidden by harling anyway.

Ta for any thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
I'd use furfix to strengthen on the internal and external skin, no need to key the blocks in. In regards to the sill, either take out or just take out the front leaving enough room for your scratch and finish coats

Thanks, that's encouraging. I'll try taking out the front of the sill with a grinder. I was a bit worried it might have reinforcing in it but I guess that would only apply to a lintel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back