Bricking a window up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed a walk in pantry which used to house a non-double-glazed window, I now need to brick it up in order to mount a corner unit.

The existing window is butt up against an internal wall with a stone lintel. Both sides of the cavity are brick. I don't want to remove the window if I can help it (first floor maisonnette) due to deed restrictions and brick matching so I was hoping to brick it up on the inside only and leave the glazing in place. I'm not planning on staying here forever so the threat of a window roting is not paramount (it's been here since the 50's and still going strong)

So, the main questions here are:

1) Do I need to bed in the bricks on both sides of the opening (left and right) or just the one I can get to easily and tie in the other side (butt against the internal wall)?

2) Do I need to do anything about a vertical damp proof as I will be bringing the cavity with both leaves of the walls on the inside of the window.

3) Should I do anything to protect the outer face of the bricks - marine ply, tarp etc?

4) Shall I just remove the window and brick it up!?!

Simple jobs seem to be getting anything but

Sponsored Links
if you are not planning to remove the window it will look pants from the outside. you may not have an issue with it but if someone is buying the place they may well have. Either take the window out and do the whole job, or infill the interior opening with studwork and insulate and palsterboard it. That way you will have a wall to hang the cupboard on and it can be removed if need be to reopen the window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back