Bricking up kitchen window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning.

I want to brick up the only window in my kitchen.

Between the kitchen and the external door is a small internal porch, so I'm unsure if bricking up the window would actually turn the kitchen into an 'inner room' or not.

If it's relevant, the porch would have a gas meter in it, so means of escape would be via a porch with a gas meter or via the hallway to the front door.

I know this would need building regs but before I get to that stage I wondered if this just wouldn't comply or if there was anything else I needed to think about? E.g ventilation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
An inner room is allowed for a kitchen.
Bricking the window up won't require B Regs, though I would advise you to install mechanical ventilation if not already fitted and this is the only window.

Interesting, thanks.

I would have thought changing the means of escape (no longer a window to escape from) would have needed building regs. Not that the window opened wide enough anyway!

No extractor fan fitted currently. What airflow/exchange rate would be required?

A kitchen is not deemed a habitable room so dies not require an escape window ,
Do you intend keeping it as a kitchen .

Sponsored Links
For now, yes. I have plans to build a rear extension with a new kitchen and living room. The existing kitchen will be demoted to a utility room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back