Bricking up old fire place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed the wooden fire surround and hearth from a first floor fire place which we want to block off.

The next stage in the process would be to seal off the fire place before plastering. I presume that the best way to do this is to brick it up (using an air brick to keep some ventilation) but I just wanted to double-check whether anyone has ever taken a different approach to this?

Assuming that bricking up is the way to go, I gather from some other guides that it is advisable to use frame cramps. Does anyone have any views about how essential these are? The fireplace is fairly standard size - certainly not particularly large.

Many thanks in advance for any advice that anyone may have!

Sponsored Links
I've just blocked with blocks and cement then plastered. Always have a vent in front or side to keep air blowing through

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back