bricklayer contract

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hired a brick layer to clear the site, dig the foundation, fill it with concert install sewer and rain underground pipes, fit floor beams and blocks and do all the brick work for my extension up to the roof for £18,500 laborer only which I believe is a good deal. I am providing all the materials and tool hire . we singed the contract on basis that I will pay him £1000 for full week work up to the half of the total amount, then the other half will be paid on completion. he accepted all the items of the contract a part from the payment. he said £1000 is not enough as I will bring another 2 bricklayers 2 labourers with me once the brickwork goes up the ground. He stated that he needs to cover their wedges only and has no issues with his wedges, it can wait until the whole work is completed. He and another workers started working on Tuesday this week and they worked really hard. He was driving the digger and his mate was driving the dumper. they cleared the site and will start digging the foundation next week and we arranged with the BC inspector to inspect the foundation. To my surprise he presented me with a bill on Friday for £1200, £800 his wedges for 4 days and £400 his laborer. I paid the bill in full but I am unhappy about it. because he is taking his daily wedges and I fear if I keep paying him at this rate, the total amount of the contract will be paid in full before the work is completed. Also I believe that they worked really hard last week to make good impression and if he thinks that he will get his daily rate then for next week and the following weeks, he will take his time and not work as hard. I do not want to cancel the contract at this stage because it is critical and he seems to be a genuine person but I do not trust the future. Any ideas, thoughts on how to handle this issue would be highly appreciated. I have not spoken to him yet as I need to think about it and present it in a good way to him

Sponsored Links
You agreed both agreed he would be paid only up to the 50% mark, until the job is completed - simply remind him of this fact and stick to it.

If you agreed to paying him at the rate of £1000pw, then that is all you need pay him, any more that you might decide to pay is entirely optional.

It doesnt feel good if the goalposts are moved in the first week.

Im not surprised alarm bells are ringing.

It mightve been better to pay to a stage payment schedule, relating to work done.

Building contracts are often done by measured work, ie foundation done, brickwork to plate height etc.

Sponsored Links
You agreed both agreed he would be paid only up to the 50% mark, until the job is completed - simply remind him of this fact and stick to it.

That would also be my advice.

You also say he didn't agree to the weekly rate, but is there an agreed programme time that can relate to the total sum. For instance, if the work is planned to take 9.5 weeks then the total pay for 9.5 weeks cannot exceed 50% of £18,500.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back