Bricklaying craft please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Retainer wall: I am planning to have a low 5 course 9-inch wall (can be either Flemish or Flemish Garden Wall bond) built to enclose two sides of a small patio, using old imperial-size local bricks. I wish to have three Flemish-bond attached piers, 3 courses higher; one at the square return and to stop two ends (for two openings). Please could anyone explain if it is practical or possible, (and above all 'honest') to have properly-bonded piers projecting just a quarter-brick on both sides of the 9-inch wall, or say half-brick on only the outside of the wall? I need a diagram to show the brick pattern, and any closers, in the two essential courses; one pair of such courses for the quoin pier, and one pair of such courses for the exposed end-piers. The diagrams need to prove there are only minimum straight (vertical) joins between the two courses. It would be useful to know which of the parts of the solution are either 'through' or 'stopped' walls.

Sponsored Links
You could have an attached pier bonded in, but as it will only be 1 1/2 brick wide you would not have the appearance of flemish bond, but it will be 'honest' ie correct. It would probably be better to do dutch bond on the piers with 3/4's at the end instead of header/closer

Thanks woody. It sounds possible then, but (not being a brickie) please could you assist me with a visual pattern of the bricks making up the two typical bonding courses, particularly for the return pier.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, masona. But there is nothing specific on this link about pier bonding courses. I need details showing the correct bonding of a 13inch square pier into a 9inch wall. The pier can be centred, or projecting all on one side. Also for a pier that forms a return in the wall too.

woody. "It would probably be better to do dutch bond on the piers with 3/4's at the end instead of header/close". Please expand for one non-brickie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back