bricks as lawn edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an area of lawn that edges onto a border of plants and was wondering to to use for edging. It is a curved area and as I have a pile of new bricks left over from some building i had done, I was wondering whether I could use them. I am planning to place them vertically in a long row, so I can follow the curve of the lawn. How would be the best way to fix them in place? I thought dig a small trench, about 5cm deepand stand them up. If I pack them tightly will they stay together in a straight line? Should I slope them at an angle? Do I need to mortar them in some how?

any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you mean like this?

small trench dug and then backfilled with a small amount of mortar or you can use postfix.

SV500244.jpg

SV500241.jpg

the ones flush with lawn are bedded and pointed in cement mortar as normal

Sponsored Links
Thay are, but they were vertical when he layed them, he sat down and knocked the first one over then .........................

should see the film of it. they went on for miles! :LOL:

spot on Thermo. That's just what I'm after. A few points:

1) The ones that are leaning diagonally - once I dig a small trench do I just sit them on soil, or something go underneath?

2) by "backfill" do you mean put a layer of mortar, or concrete, behind the bricks? so that it is not visible. Will this stop them from moving?

3) you have a very clean edge between brick and lawn. How did you manage that? Do you use a strimmer, or is there a gap, or some other barrier between brick and grass?

oh, and forgot to mention, great looking garden. immaculately well kept. you must be a dab hand with the old broom and shovel, or do you have a petrol blower and blast the clippings and dust away!

seneca said:
spot on Thermo. That's just what I'm after. A few points:

1) The ones that are leaning diagonally - once I dig a small trench do I just sit them on soil, or something go underneath? just sit them on the soil, get the bottom of the trench level

2) by "backfill" do you mean put a layer of mortar, or concrete, behind the bricks? so that it is not visible. Will this stop them from moving? You can put a layer of mortar in or back fill them with soil and heel it in to firm them up

3) you have a very clean edge between brick and lawn. How did you manage that? Do you use a strimmer, or is there a gap, or some other barrier between brick and grass? just cut a neat edge with a spade when you do the trench

oh, and forgot to mention, great looking garden. immaculately well kept. you must be a dab hand with the old broom and shovel, or do you have a petrol blower and blast the clippings and dust away!

I am a dab hand ith a broom and shovel, but its not my garden! its a job i did for an old work colleague a few years back

If you have an upstanding edge like that, remember thaat mowing is a pain in the proverbial. Blocks or bricks laid flat and just below the level of the grass is a neater and more practical option.

If they are laid out flat (like me after mowing :LOL: ) then when you mow won't a lot of clippings go into the soil in the raised bed. The one benefit of raised bricks is they will act as a barrier. I suppose it is a pain having to use a strimmer for the edges, but it's better than edging sheers. The chap next door uses them and it's hilarious watching him frenetically cutting and still taking hours. Still, he does get a neat finish.

And for a really good lawn edge,easily maintained,but not cheap,take a look at this.....
productid=3&chttp://www.smartedgeuk.co.uk/shop/product.php?at=1&page=1 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back