Brickwork spalling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

I have a brick cavity boundary wall (it is mine) that originally, was the wall to the garage. The neighbours side is fine (that was the external wall) but my side (it was the internal) is not so good. The wall is now external on both sides.

My side, many of the bricks are spalling and a lot of the mortar, in patches is loose and easy to poke with a cold chisel. In the past, I had applied a water sealing coat, but it does not last long. It is not decorative, so I am reluctant to remove all the spalling bricks and rake out all the mortar, particularly as a lot of the mortar is pretty solid, but patches are just like dust.

My question is, what is the easiest way to tidy it up and give it a new(ish) lease of life without creating a major job?

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
Mortar rake down any loose sections and repoint .Sealing may be cause of spalling trapping moisture which would otherwise evaporate off the surface ,

Thanks. Just slightly daunted by the amount of work; around 2.4m high and 10m long. Fortunately, most of it just needs a wire brush.

When I say 'sealing', it was a 'breathable' masonry paint, just to make it a grey wall rather than the random coloured red brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back