Bridge That Gap………….

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
……………with foam?. We have a shower pump fitted in the airing cupboard which adjoins a bedroom and makes one heck of a noise when someone is showering and someone else is in the bedroom is trying to sleep. Between the airing cupboard and the bedroom there is part of the dividing wall with a totally enclosed gap between both being around 2500mm high, 950mm wide and approximately 100mm deep. I got the idea that if I filled this gap from top to bottom with some sort of expanding foam, the noise from the pump would be cut dramatically. If that idea is sound, perhaps there are other, perhaps easier ways to fill the gap. Either way, I would be grateful for any advice. Two final points: (a) the noise appears to be mainly from the the vibration from the pipes feeding the pump which are mounted from floor to ceiling on the airing cupboard wall and (b) I have never handled expanding foam before. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
……………with foam?. We have a shower pump fitted in the airing cupboard which adjoins a bedroom and makes one heck of a noise when someone is showering and someone else is in the bedroom is trying to sleep. Between the airing cupboard and the bedroom there is part of the dividing wall with a totally enclosed gap between both being around 2500mm high, 950mm wide and approximately 100mm deep. I got the idea that if I filled this gap from top to bottom with some sort of expanding foam, the noise from the pump would be cut dramatically. If that idea is sound, perhaps there are other, perhaps easier ways to fill the gap. Either way, I would be grateful for any advice. Two final points: (a) the noise appears to be mainly from the the vibration from the pipes feeding the pump which are mounted from floor to ceiling on the airing cupboard wall and (b) I have never handled expanding foam before. Thank you.

Your waisting your time. It was obviously fitted by a crap plumber or DIYer.

Get a decent plumber in to advise you on the best way forward.

Attachments

• IMG_2371.jpeg
    IMG_2371.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2372.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
Get a decent plumber in to advise you on the best way forward.
If I could, I would, but living out in the sticks, getting a plumber in again would be much too expensive for the return journey alone. That is the only reason for my wanting to tackle the job myself. As you can see by the photographs in my previous reply, I have already made an unsuccessful attempt by using foam insulation on the pipes and am now seeking help regarding other possibilities. Hope that you or someone else can assist. Thank you.

I always put my pumps on a paving slab. Have you got the flexibility to do this without adjustments to the pipe work?

I always put my pumps on a paving slab. Have you got the flexibility to do this without adjustments to the pipe work?
Thanks for your reply. Given that the only pipes attached to the actual pump are of the flexible variety, it would depend on how far I could bend thesevif I wanted a slab fitted below the pump. I should say that the noise seems to come from the vibration of the 22 mm copper pipes on the wall which feed the pump, knowing of course that it is the latter that causes the vibration in the first place. Perhaps there are shorter flexible pipes available.

Thanks for your reply. Given that the only pipes attached to the actual pump are of the flexible variety, it would depend on how far I could bend thesevif I wanted a slab fitted below the pump. I should say that the noise seems to come from the vibration of the 22 mm copper pipes on the wall which feed the pump, knowing of course that it is the latter that causes the vibration in the first place. Perhaps there are shorter flexible pipes available.

Clipping pipes would be another +. Sometimes it's just a poor installation and it's not just the one thing thst you have to put right.

Clipping pipes would be another +. Sometimes it's just a poor installation. .
Despite the fact that the pipes are well clipped, the vibration is strong from floor to ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back