bridge the gap!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, we're getting the bathroom sorted following a leak and have replaced the shower tray.
Unfortunately the previous shower tray was a different shape and we now have a gap between the shower tray and the floor tiles.
The tiler has scratched his head for a solution, we cannot get a match for the floor tile mosaics.
He doesn't want to cut another row of mosaics away to allow for a different cut of tile to go in between.
He is suggesting a trim, build up the gap with grout and adhesive - but he doesn't have a flexible one, and was talking about heating a straight one to bend it.
I was wondering if a Quadrant trim would bend more easily?

Any other suggestions for covering the gap? Its about 24mm at the very widest part.

Thanks
20170401_115844.jpg

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd try cutting back the tiles, using a diamond wheel, to leave a uniform 25mm (or whatever) gap then infilling with a deliberately contrasting strip of mosaic pieces. How thick is the mosaic?

I had a similar problem after changing the patio door between house and conservatory
The new cill was narrower so I ended up with a narrow gap

Mine was easier as it was large floor tiles but I bought some border tiles about 2" long and cut them lengthways to fit the gap.

As I couldn't hide the infill I made it stand out.

Thanks Guys,
My initial thought was the same as you Tigercubrider and alec_t, but the tiler doesn't want to cut back, he says it'll loosen the existing mosaics. I had suggested putting different mosaics or cutting a strip of larger tile at a curve o fit in after putting down a sliver of ply but the tiler doesn't want the hassle.
He had suggested cutting some marble tile and over laying it (building up grout and adhesive under) over the mosaics.
But now they've said about bending a strip of trim. I really think they want the easiest option, not what will look the best. :(

Sponsored Links
The trim would have to be at least 24mm wide to cover the gap. What trim and how would he bend it?
As you are the one employing the tiler, surely you dictate what he should do? As for loosening the existing mosaic, can't a suitable adhesive cure that?

Pity your tiler is being so negative. Alec_t suggestion is the way. Fiddly but do able.
I have used upvc trim 25x25mm but only on square trays,dont think it will bend very well or at all,it has memory.

Other solution would to get a square tray,a slightly larger tray,or a made to measure tray (good luck there).

Edit,what are the dimensions of your tray ?.

Change tiler.

as above i would cut back its only the curve the straight part is half a mosiac already pretty easy to blend in with some sandstone

OP,
That mosaic is easily obtainable - it looks like a very popular tumbled tile.
Is that tray only in a dry fit position - ie its not yet in a fixed position?

In answer to all your advice:
The tray us already glued down- at the time the guy from the bathroom shop said "the tiler will be able to sort out that gap no problem"
The tray is a 900 quad.
I'm paying the bathroom shop, the tiler works for them but is self employed and is their only tiler so I think he dictates a bit, therefore as my job isn't completely straightforward he wants the quickest solution.
I'm going to go back to the shop and insist on it being cut back and matched as best as possible.... I just know that they'll suck their teeth and tell me it's going to cost.... I'd seriously have a go myself if I had the rightly cutting tool.
Thanks for all your advice.
Ill let ye know how it pans out.
;)

FWIW: here's a few pointers:

1. The tray appears to have been butted against the wall tiles - A proper fitting requires the tray to go under the wall tiles, & then they should come down on to the rim of the tray.
2. To cut the wall tiles, and recess the tray further back will create a larger gap at the mosaic surround.
But it would make the tray more secure against leaks.
3. The tray appears to be sitting on the floor - how will you access the trap?
4. Has the waste & trap been water tested?

5. If you lifted the "glued down" tray you could square off the floor tile, & run the mosaic under the tray footprint without any need for cutting.
6. You could build a small platform to raise the tray, & provide for a plinth access to the trap.

note: running a utility knife down the grout line will remove the grout and cut the mosaic mesh - tiles or tile off-cuts can then be lightly levered out.
The best kind of tray has fins that go under the wall tile.

Hi there,
Tray was fitted before wall tiles, so tiles do come down onto the rim.
The trap has been connected underneath.
If I take up tray now the wall tiles that have been done may be damaged.
I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
Thanks for the pointers.

20170401_115844.jpg
20170404_173423.jpg

Hi Guys, after much grumbling, the tiler completed the job, took him just over an hour.
We'll clean and reseal the whole floor, but the grout is dry now (not above) and its as if they were always there!
Thanks for all of your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back