Bright Sparks

"all the coins in 4 of the stacks weigh exactly 10g, but all of those in the fifth stack weigh 11g."
Another assumption I made was the figures of 10g & 11g applied to each individual coin on its own and not the total number of coins in the piles (10) although this matters not providing you make the same assumption apply to all piles therefore all piles weigh either 10g or 11g per coin or per stack of 10 coins.
As you say, that wouldn't have made any difference since, if I understand you correctly, you thought/assumed that individual coins weighed 1.0g and 1.1g, rather than 10g and 11g. My wording was, I agree, a little potentially ambiguous.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
John ,
ref two surgeons, yes it would have been better a few years back.

Two indians might still work

John , ref two surgeons, yes it would have been better a few years back. Two indians might still work
I'm not sure that I fully understand that comment - there was only one surgeon in the 'puzzle'. However, it's certainly true that (due to probable changes in 'common assumptions') it was much more 'puzzling' for many people in the past.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Sorry John,

Two Indians walking down the street, one says "That bloke over there is my Son", the other Indian says "He is my Son!"

Yes only one Surgeon sorry but now you know what I was thinking

Sorry John, Two Indians walking down the street, one says "That bloke over there is my Son", the other Indian says "He is my Son!" Yes only one Surgeon sorry but now you know what I was thinking
Ah, right! These 'common (but incorrect) assumptions' have obviously changed/disappeared over time because of sociological etc. changes. Another old one, which would not have worked well in recent decades, related to the girl who said that her brother was the son of the prime minister and that she was the daughter of a builder (or something like that) - the question being what is her relationship to the prime minister?!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back