rewire or not rewire????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, A question for you experienced electricains out there.

My house is having a new consumer unit and I would like the ring main to stay wired as it is. A test was put on it and the results were as followed, r1 was 0.58, rn was 0.56 and r2 was 1.38, I think the cable is 2.5mm with a 1.0mm cpc. Is this ok? I am concerned about the resistance of r2 because the OSG stays r2 should be 1.67 times r1 or rn which is 0.96 which makes 1.38 quite high. Does this mean the ring main will have to be rewired in 2.5/1.5 T&E.

Sponsored Links
Personally if the Zs value is low enough, then I would not fail the circuit merely for having a 1.0mm² earth, but circuits old enough to be wired in this cable often have other problems anyway, such as a lack of sockets, and installation methods.

Do you have a figure for external loop impediance (ze?) chances are unless it is unusually low, a 2.5/1 ring on a modern breaker won't be a problem :)

The 0.67 think in the OSG is just a quick pointer to check you are getting expected values and assumes 2.5/1.5, of course with 2.5/1 the ratio will be different

Thanks so far. I haven't a figure for Ze but ZS has been measured at the sockets since and it is quite high. 1.9 at the highest R1+R2 point of the circuit. which I believe is higher than it should be. 1.12 for type B 32A breakers.

Looks like a new ring main!!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Something doesn't seem right here

Z's = 1.9 r1 = 0.56 r2 = 1.38

I know it doesn't work perfectly in practice but with an r1 and r2 of 0.56 and 1.38, you have a R1+R2 (note upper case!) of 0.485 subtract that from the 1.9 and you are left with a value of 1.415 for the Ze, I'd measure the Ze, because it sounds like a dodgy TN-S ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back