Ring Continuity Test

Hopefully I'm out tomorrow cable pulling (6mm² ring main) I'l try to measure a whole drum before we start, for that we will have to assume the 100m length is correct.
The absolute resistance measurements obviously depend upon the actual length, but the ratio of resistances of live conductors and the CPC will be independent of the length.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The absolute resistance measurements obviously depend upon the actual length, but the ratio of resistances of live conductors and the CPC will be independent of the length.

Kind Regards, John
I get the impression he is looking for readings of a known length. IE real world tests.

I get the impression he is looking for readings of a known length. IE real world tests.
That would obviously be the ideal, but don't forget that this whole discussion started because of the inconsistency between quotes resistances for conductors of different CSAs (both in BS 7671 and OSG, as well as elsewhere).

However, as I've said, the fact that you are invoking variability ('errors') due to manufacturing and measurement of an actual length of cable, I fear that your results will probably not be as conclusive as you might hope.

Kind Regards, John

.... as the OSG figures have usually been very close to any measurements, ...
The 'problem' being discussed, is that the figures given in BS 7671 and the OSG (both published by the same organisation) are not only both 'internally inconsistent' (i.e. implying a different resistivity has been used to produce the resistances/VDs for different CSAs) but are also different from one another.

That really makes no sense, and could be said to be unjustifiable ('unforgiveable' ?) !

1692720279637.png

Yellow shading indicates 'correct' resistances, green shading indicates 'correct to 1 decimal place.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Although I do not remember where I first saw it, I have always considered 1.83Ωpm for a 10mm² conductorto be THE starting point for all my calculations thus negating the need to look at any other tables.

On the list I posted earlier, I have entered the OSG figures (unfortunately I had to look at it) and those calculated from my starting point.

1692720806502.png

Whilst there is not a huge difference, as we keep saying each publication should have the same ratios between values as mine in red?

In addition to what John said, presumably because there doesn't seem to be an answer to the inconsistencies anywhere.
Quite. As I've said, it seems particularly ridiculous that one organisation is publishing two sets of figures, both of which are internally inconsistent and which differ from each other!

The differences are, of course, so small as to be of no practical consequence, but I'm not sure that is "the point" (and certainly not 'an excuse')!

Kind Regards, John

You could try this method of obtaining the ratio of the resistances of the Brown wire and the Green wire.

The Amp meter is not essential if only the ratio is needed,

On short cables a constant current source in the better option given the low impedance of 2.5mm² cable

ratiometric resistance compare.jpg

Although I do not remember where I first saw it, I have always considered 1.83Ωpm for a 10mm² conductorto be THE starting point for all my calculations thus negating the need to look at any other tables.
Fair enough but, as we have seen, the variations in 'the tables' is such that the choice of 'starting point' is essentially an arbitrary decision. You would obviously get slightly different answers if you used any other starting point (other than 1mm²).

Kind Regards, John

You could try this method of obtaining the ratio of the resistances of the Brown wire and the Green wire. The Amp meter is not essential if only the ratio is needed, On short cables a constant current source in the better option given the low impedance of 2.5mm² cable
One could do that.

However, as I keep saying, the issue is not really in relation to the actual ratio of resistances of real-world lengths of cable (which will be subject to manufacturing and measurement tolerances/errors) but, rather to the various published tabulations, which ought to know better than to be internally inconsistent (and shouldn't really, be different from one another, either!)!

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough but, as we have seen, the variations in 'the tables' is such that the choice of 'starting point' is essentially an arbitrary decision. You would obviously get slightly different answers if you used any other starting point (other than 1mm²).
Yes, but I don't. :)

Having said that, 1.5mm² and 35mm² are a lot closer than 1mm².

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back