Bring Cooker Hood Out From Wall Using Wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Need to install cooker hood. Here it is:

kSx1BtL.jpg

rCstQdO.jpg

Not the final door BTW - just using old kitchen bits to check how door opens (it's pretty stiff actually).

When I placed it against the wall it doesn't stick out far enough to match with the cabinets to either side.

Of course the wall will be tiled, but I need at least 4cm of reduced depth - is it OK to screw wood to the wall behind the extractor hood which will be above the gas hob to achieve a flush finish?

Also is there a regs about the distance between the bottom of oven hood and oven itself? My gas fitter mentioned something about this.

And one more thing... will it be a problem long term for the hood to blow air up towards the ceiling if on recirculate? I don't want the ceiling being ruined.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to install it without venting to the outside the I would not waste your time. The exhaust to the ceiling is just one of the problems with them, the main thing is they are useless when used that way. You have the hole in the top so just fit a vent kit & vent it to the outside. As far as height is concerned then I presume you will fit the top flush with the top of existing wall units & that is what will decide the height from the bottom to the hob. The minimum height depends on what type of hob you have, but I would try for a minimum of 750mm & as much as you possibly can get. As long as it is securely fixed I cannot see a reason why you cannot mount it on timber but they are usually just set back from the front of other wall units, not fitted flush.

Agree with jj , recycling hoods are no longer permitted in new kitchens for reason stated above, they are useless.

Ah, so is there anything in particular bad about this hood or are all the same (useless on recirculate/exhaust at the top)?

Might go get a duct right now as there is easy access to the vent I just didn't want to drill through my new wall units.

BTW are all hoods noisy at even low speed settings?

Sponsored Links
Also is there a regs about the distance between the bottom of oven hood and oven itself? My gas fitter mentioned something about this.
Yes very good point,there are regulations re distance from hotplate to bottom of extract fan,the instructions supplied by the gas cooker company will mention the dimensions,they do vary.

BTW are all hoods noisy at even low speed settings?
No some are whisper quiet on low speeds,its down to the quality of the unit.
Have you put a plug and made sure it actually works and not to noisy ?

Cool, do you know if I can use these types of pipes to vent the air:
You will need a spigot attached to the extract hood aperture then run in suitable ducting.The extract rate of the cooker hood will dictate the diameter of ducting.Have you got the cooker hood installation instructions ? they may be on the internet somewhere.

For a hood that size the 110mm or the 120mm will be more than adequate. As O&B says you will need spigot to fit to the top cover & go from there.

Instructions say:

"When installing the appliance, make sure that the following distances between the top of cooker or hob and the lowest part of the cooker hood must be observed:
Gas hobs: 750mm
Electric hobs: 650mm"

So I guess by this they mean minimum distances so 800mm should be fine for both electric and gas hobs.

It also says 125mm duct but the question is can I reduce it to 100x54mm rectangle ducting like this:

13947310.jpg

So I can take it through the wall unit and wall? Will rectangle be too noisy/cause resistance? Total duct distance will be about 1 meter.

Thanks.

will be fine, even if not fully efficient will be better than recirc

Found out the original one with the bulkiness and blower at the top was no use for ducting off to the side.
They are intended for use with the flat ducting on top of the wall units, no cutting of units required. The ducting is hidden by the cornice fitted to the top of the units.
However you appear to have placed your wall units excessively high up, so there is no space for ducting or cornice either.

The steel chimney type are intended for the duct to go out of the wall behind or into the ceiling above, the main idea being that the chimney section conceals all of the ducting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back