Bristan Colonial Washer replacement - help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dripping Bristan Colonial tap, I suspect its the washer, however I am having trouble accessing it.

I have unscrewed the shroud covering the washer area - but it won't lift off to reveal the washer, as the tap top is still on......

...so I removed the 'hot' plastic cover to reveal a screw, which I have undone, but it has still not released the tap top, so I can't remove the shroud.

I have tried to bang it and even tried the same thing with the cold tap, but it just won't shift.

Any advice/helpmuch appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Either get a thin spanner/grips under the shroud and undo the lot, or use a "puller" on the tap top. I carry one just for that purpose.
Sometimes this works:
Undo the screw which holds the tap top, just a turn or so.
Pull by hand up on the tap top while tapping the screw with a small hammer/spacer.

If it's general goo holding the tap on it'll be softened by heat, so you could try pouring boiling water over it first. Blowlamps are handy things...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back