Bristan tap leaking - can't get to washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking Bristan bathroom tap. I am guessing that it's the washer that requires replacement although I am knew to such plumbing jobs. I have managed to remove the tap from the washbasin but I do not know how to remove the top off it to get to the washer. I have tried with a flat screwdriver but it won't budge and just scratches the tap - see attached photo. Can anyone please advise me on how best to do this? I have attached below some photos of the tap.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Very bizarre, they were uploaded early but I can't see them now either. I have uploaded these again. Hope you can see these now.

Attachments

• IMG-20201222-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20201222-WA0006.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_20201222_124404.jpg
    IMG_20201222_124404.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 387
Sponsored Links
Not sure why you removed the tap from the basin. The domed top may unscrew. Difficult to grip but try wearing rubber gloves to give a bit more purchase. Or the whole top may just pull off.

Here is my best guess. This is not a current style from Bristan but spares should be available. It may be a cartridge type tap that does not use a washer but a ceramic cartridge. The domed top will give access to the workings, and should prise out useing a fine but strong blade on a penknife. Then you will see a screwhead that holds on the shroud and below that the cartridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back