Ceramic tap washers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Four years ago I purchased new basin taps for the bathroom. I was told as they were ceramic the washers would not wear out, well, they have and the taps are dripping like mad. Unfortunately the original local suppliers are not helpful so I do not know the make of the tap. I have tried Ultra, Mayfair and Bristan but they advise the taps are not theirs. All I can tell is that the spindle bit at the top of the washer unit is quite long/tall. Can anyone please advise if there is a standard type of washer or do I have to carry on trying to identify the tap. It is a full turn not a quarter. I would post a photo but am not sure how to do this. Many thanks for any help you may be able to give. Dee

Sponsored Links
in my experience, they are more bother than they are worth.

The manufacturers conspire to make all their spindle sizes/number of splines on spindle/ length of spindle/ length of valve different, making it really difficult for plumbers :rolleyes:

My advice would be to bin the tap and get a new one.

It maybe a case that it needs cleaning!
But they do wear and also crack, if you are having problems identifying the cartridge type. Remove the head gear and take the cartridge to the merchants with you, this will require the tap being isolated.

Thank you both. I will have to get a plumber to take out the offending bit, I would prefer to use the present taps as they match the bath taps. I think there is an isolating part further down the piping leading to the tap which he could use. Many thanks for your replies. Dee

Sponsored Links
If you look here you will see there are thousands of variations of ceremic cartridge.

You might be lucky and find the ones you need in there somewhere.

If you do go to a plumbers merchants, take the tap head with you as well, to make sure it fits the new cartridge.

:LOL: :LOL: The number of times I have seen civilians walking into a merchants with some mangled, scaled up and battered tap mechanism they have spent the morning prizing out of some set of contract taps they got from Ikea/B&Q/Homebase hoping beyond hope that they can get a spare over the counter :LOL:

The look on the counter jockey's face :LOL:

Thank you for all your suggestions. I bought the taps with others, from a specific plumbing supplier locally, thinking buying better quality taps would last. I will have the part removed and try and replace it as per your suggestions. Many thanks to all for your help. Dee

No one would buy a car whose brand they did not know or could not find out so they know what spares to ask for. Why do it with taps - or any other product, for that matter.

Having been on the receiving end, as a counterboy, of the "I want spares for this" Saturday morning 'customers', I always make sure I know the brand of eveything I buy that may need some form of care and attention in the future.

Thank you for your comments. However, when I purchased these taps, I was told by the local suppliers that they were Amber taps, subsequently taken over by Ultra. This was also printed on the invoice which I still have. However, after getting in touch with Ultra for the spares, and sending them a photo of the tap, they advised the taps were not theirs, so the information given by the plumbing supplier was incorrect. After contacting the local supplier again, in fact twice, unfortunately they are not in the least bit interested in helping me. Dee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back