Trouble Renewing Ceramic Washer From Tap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally got around with trying to rectify my kitchen sink dripping tap. The tap is dual feed single spout unit, hot control left-cold control right. My problem is unlocking the ceramic washer unit on the hot side where the drip is coming from. I don't want to put too much effort onto the unit in case I crack the sink. My question is:
Is the hot tap ceramic washer unit a right hand thread (Clockwise) screw in or left hand thread (Anticlockwise) screw in. Also, is there a tip to ease extraction of this washer unit which is approximately 6 years old. Advice/help much appreciated.

Best wishes from,

Gibson8206.

Sponsored Links
Turn anticlockwise to remove. They can be really tight. Use a ring spanner to avoid damaging the nut. I use a short peice of scaffolding tube over the ring spanner to get extra leverage

I have an similar problem. Hot control left-cold control right and both turn towards you. But it is my cold tap that is dripping. I've tried unscrewing anti-clockwise using quite a bit of force without success. Should it unscrew in a clockwise direction?

Conventional inserts are all right hand threaded, but do support the tap body as you heave on it!
John :)

Sponsored Links
So the with both levers moving towards you, the left hot one is moving in a clockwise direction which tightens the cartridge, and the right cold one is moving in an anti-clockwise directions which has a tendency to loosen the cartridge. An unlikely event event perhaps but am I correct?

I'm happy to accept the solution by Burnerman but I thought I would just check before I start exercising my muscles on trying to unscrewi it.

The cartridges work by opening and closing passages within the cartridge to allow the water by......if the passages line up, then the water can pass.
There's no tightening down of the cartridge like there is in the rubber washer type tap.
Post a pic if you can!

Thanks John but please bear with me.

I was thinking of the whole of the cartridge gradually unscrewing as the lever is continually moved in the anti-clockwise direction when you want water.

Having thought about it a bit more though I guess when you push the lever back to close down the water you are moving in a clockwise direction which compensates.

All this chat. Subliminally all I'm doing is putting off the job I know I have to do!
Keith

No problem, Keith......with the cartridge insert held in your hand, it's still possible to rotate the cartridge internals 1/4 turn......if you look at the bottom of the cartridge, you can see the ports opened and closed when you turn the splined end.
This has nothing to do with removing the cartridge from the tap body, of course.

I'm grateful for you staying with me John.

I'll now get my finger out and tackle the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back