Bristan shower handle removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all. I’m hoping someone can help. My very old bristan mixer shower has been dripping so having done some research I decided to take it apart to try and maybe soak the cartridge in vinegar and put new O rings in (we live in a very hard water area). Problem is I cannot get the outside casing off and I assume it’s because the white handle (see photo) needs to come off first. However I cannot get the handle to budge. Am I doing the right thing? Tia.

Attachments

• IMG_1305.jpeg
    IMG_1305.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
I've contacted them a couple of times. They don't always get things right first time, but they are keen to be helpful:

I suspect it’s completely limescaled up! I’ll try and use a soft grip wrench but I’ll likely end up pulling it off the wall!

Sponsored Links
If it's a Bristan 1901:
1. The handle should pull off. As you say, it may well be jammed on with limescale.
2. Just a word of warning. If it IS a 1901, the cartridge should pull out. Don't try and unscrew it as there are splines at the back of the cartridge which fit into matching splines at the rear of the body. If you force it you will strip the splines and need a new shower.
3. In the past I've had to resort to jacking the cartridge out with an improvised puller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back