Britain's average IQ just dropped another 3 points.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like the worst of the weather is past us, but just in case anyone here is called "Terry F***wit" (Viz readers will know what I mean), here is a disturbing article.

... crime of taking a car the owner has left running to warm up... up to 135,000 drivers have fallen victim since 2000

Yes, that is right. Since 2000, at least 135,000 people have... left their car unattended, unlocked, with the keys in the ignition, and with the engine alraedy running. And wondered why it got stolen. :LOL:

Obviously frostbite of the brain is gripping the nation. For chrissakes, it only takes 2 or 3 minutes to de-ice a car. If it is really bad sit in the car with the engine running.

Had a thought: isn't insurance invalid if you leave the car unattended with the engine running? I'm pretty sure it is illegal as well. If insurance covers this then it's driving up our insurance costs. :evil:

Idiots. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Just poor time management ... lazy gits cannot get out of bed ... I see a successful company owner, every morning leaving the pavement outside his unoccupied drive, talking on hand held mobile whilst peering through no more than a 4" frost free square of windscreen ... One has the overwhelming feeling that he feels the 'law' and good sense does not apply to one as busy as himself ... I wish someone could explain pavement parking when owning both an empty drive and empty double garage ..
:cry:

Yes,it is illegal to leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running and the handbrake on.
It can only be left in the care of a responsible person (somebody who can drive - not your three-year-old !) but they can be in the passenger seat.

AdamW said:
Since 2000, at least 135,000 people have... left their car unattended, unlocked, with the keys in the ignition, and with the engine alraedy running. And wondered why it got stolen. :LOL:

The following is a true story..

My Brother-in-Law was on his way to play golf early one cold morning. Left his car running outside a newsagents whilst he just popped in to buy a paper. Came out just in time to see his car being driven off down the road.

He reported it to the police and his insurance company - telling both the absolute truth about the car being left unattended, unlocked, with the keys in the ignition and the engine running.

The police told him how "silly" he had been.

The insurance company took their weeks thinking about it, but for some reason (I have never understood how or why) they paid him the full insured value of the car :!:

Never has someone been so stupid, and so lucky, at the same time.

Sponsored Links
cant say in all my time as a copper, including the time i was on the stolen vehicle unit i ever heard of someones car being nicked while they left the engine going to de-ice it. Simple reason is the majority of crooks are not out at that time in the morning. I have dealet with various cars being nicked off forecourts at petrol stations, delivery drivers, couple of ambulances, one bus and a large juggernaut and boy was that a scary chase!

Powertool is right but it has to be someone who is qualified to drive the vehicle as they are classed as being in control

Thermo said:
cant say in all my time as a copper, including the time i was on the stolen vehicle unit i ever heard of someones car being nicked while they left the engine going to de-ice it. Simple reason is the majority of crooks are not out at that time in the morning. I have dealet with various cars being nicked off forecourts at petrol stations, delivery drivers, couple of ambulances, one bus and a large juggernaut and boy was that a scary chase!

Powertool is right but it has to be someone who is qualified to drive the vehicle as they are classed as being in control

and who would take a car de-icing.... after all... its covered in ice and visabily is as far as the windshield.

I often see people stop for fags, to post letters, etc.... and leave their car with engine running. I'm often on foot nearby so I get in the car, sometimes to shouts of "OI!!" and sometimes, they don't notice until they open the driver's door.

I just say, "careful, next time I could be a thief..."

Instead of being cross, they are grateful, but does it change their behaviour??... I really don't know!!

Thermo no doubt would say I'm on a sticky wicket "pretending" to steal cars, but I hope it helps.

I see all sorts from the unemployed in 20 yo bangers to (yes, really) an ex chief of police (who shall remain nameless!!) in a brand new Lexus. He wasn't too chuffed, either!!

You know, I really hadn't thought about the whole early morning/criminal paradox!

Interesting public service there Simon... might I suggest you don't apply it to people who leave small children unattended! :LOL:

Thermo said:
......... Simple reason is the majority of crooks are not out at that time in the morning. .....l

I would add poor drivers to that, generally, glad of the situation all my commuting life ! ( Although I guess, same mix of drivers just not so many )
This is another side to the 'open all hours' situation ... Will there be a safer time on the roads in future ?
:mad:

securespark said:
........I'm often on foot nearby so I get in the car, sometimes to shouts of "OI!!" and sometimes, they don't notice until they open the driver's door.............

Great living to be made in Porto Stock as a sparkler ... Spend good part of day sitting in parked cars ... bit dodgy if just stolen mind ! Used in robbery and dumped, engine running outside newsagents .... just as you know who comes tripping past .... oooer !
;)

Thermo said:
Daft as it sound, but what if you're not insured to drive the car :?: :!:

Drive out of garage and go .... easy really.
Best of all, do not have to leave early now ... just a school run to local bus stop... ;)

i was thinking about this post this morning and i remebered one job i dealt with about 7 years ago, which bought a smile to my face.

It was a sunday morning, bright and sunny at about 7.00 am. As me and my partner were driving along the seafront in brighton, past a place called dukes mound, an small wooded area next to the road, which is notorious as a male pick up place, i was suffering from a rancid home made chilli i had consumed the night before. This started off the following chain of events:-

because of the chilli i farted, which smelt badly.

because i farted my partner opened the window.

because he opened the window he heard a car engine idling as we drove past a vauxhall van (city of london wheel clamping van)

because he heard the car idling we turned around seeing no one in it (and thinking whats that doing here?)

because no one was in it i checked the registration as we drove towards it and found it had been nicked from hampstead heath the night before

because it was nicked we went up to it and saw a young bloke asleep in it.

because we went up to it and someone was in it i nicked em as the van was nicked!

Because he ahd been nicked we interviewed him and he fully admitted nicking the van. Turns out he was in the bushes in hampstead heath when the driver of the van turns up, parks it with the engine running, whilst getting a bit of lip serice down below from another man of the night.

To quote from the offender "hows he going to explain that one to his bosses then?" We never did find out, although of course we fully explained to his bosses where it had been nicked and the circumstances behind the theft!

So dont leave the engine running! :LOL: :D :LOL: :D :LOL: :) :)

(and yes you would need to be insured masona and not ****ed either)

Thermo said:
because of the chilli i farted, which smelt badly.

Perhaps that is what is needed to get arrest numbers up - more farting coppers :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back