British Gas engineer working "on the side" - cover

Strange how Namsag is quite happy to start a witch hunt against someone he believed was working illegally but then advises the OP to use someone that's both working illegally and ripping his own employer off.

Anyone could be forgiven for thinking the other business had a personal motive.

Very well remembered! I couldnt agree with you more. :D

Sponsored Links
I just love these threads where everyone goes off on one.

Perhaps the guy has his own registration and PLI.

He may even own or have a mate who runs a Heating business. For a small consideration he can generate any amount of trade that way. :rolleyes:

Razor.
I dont have a problem with anyone qualified working as you call it illegally.
The BG guy in question here will have full qualifications and up to the minute training
The Agile thing was about someone on here making a big thing about unregistered people working whilst not being himself and touting for business at the same time.
completely different.

Survey on BBC news this morning only 3% of people think its wrong to pay someone cash to get a better deal.
Its good to know all you holier than thous would always use legitimate trades people and never use someone on the side.

Yeah i really believe yous :rolleyes:

I imagine someone from BG management is probably reading these posts as they come in.

Sponsored Links
after creating an entirely new post for some I.T. graduate manager last month you could well be right.

If the BG guy is deemed competent to fit boilers for BG, then paperwork or no paperwork he should be deemed competent for fit when not working for BG..... Having said that, since he is doing a foreigner what kind of back up service would you get from him, if it is found later that an error by him has caused injury or death, then how could he be found?

Speaking personally, If I discovered that someone who worked for me had stolen my work, then he would find himself spending the next few months eating his steak and chips through a straw...

I personally couldn't care less anymore, if homeowners want to risk null and void house insurance, injury to family and friends, it's their perogative, 40 years at this game with threats of this and threats of that, Part A to Z blah blah blah, what happens when you report broken regs to the Council or Corgi, oh we cant this we cant that, basically not interested at all, dont know what gassafe is like, but I imagine as that most of their staff are ex corgi I dont think I need to think about it much.

Lets look at the latest GAS Magazine, illegal fitter gets caught "again", what happens, LESS fine than the first time he is caught, not more for sticking 2 fingers up to the judge by doing it again, the first fine didn't even cover what it cost us guys to be legal, the whole thing is a joke and always has been, so now I just laff along with it, if the guy is working for BG and competent whats the problem, oh they dont get a bit of paper and their house insurance is invalid, I aint bothered.

Nation of aresholes

Well I must admit you have a point there Pedan********* I bet there are not many on here that have not done a few Homer's ??? bit like you really could'nt care less really, diy gas work only criteria for me is do they live nextdoor , above or below me !

Yea next door above or below would bother me, but with Wickes B&Q Screwfix ect ect selling gas appliances and gas fittings and kits ect to ANYONE, it just shows that it's all about money/revenue for the suits and ties, always disguised in the same old wrapper of "safety", what bollokks, yea right, fek em, if the the diyers can do it as incompetent as they want, why the hell shouldn't the BG man do his foreingner, at least it stands a chance of being safe even if it doesn't have bits of paper to wipe your arsse on.

This country is a bag of ****te when it comes to rules and regs, no parking, no litter, no spitting, no cycling on the pavement ect ect, more laws and bye laws ect than you can shake a stick at, is anybody around to enforce or be bothered to, can anyone on the WWW tell me at anytime or anywhere in the uk when any cyclist has been prosecuted for riding on the pavemnent or with no lights in the dark in the last year ? out of how many people carrying out gas work legally or illegally has anyone in the last 5 years been prosecuted for not complying with Part L 2005 ie no roomstat or trv's, ? how many legit fitters been prosecuted for not having a C&G in heating and efficiency ? numbers would fit on a postage stamp, so Mr BG man who is actually competent is gonna be trembling in his boots for fitting a boiler out of hours oooooooooooooohhhhh

I always argue that its not possible for BG to prevent any employees having their own gas-safe registration is they so choose.

Doing gas work for private customers is another matter.

If the OPs relative engages a BG man doing a private job he is not insured, not gas registered and may do a bad job as no one is watching.

I have been called to sort out a boiler fitted by a BG engineer as a private job. He did not clean the system and had not set up the boiler properly.

If anyone has had illegal gas work done they have the option of a free safety check by Gas-Safe ( 0800 408 5500 )

Tony

I always argue that its not possible for BG to prevent any employees having their own gas-safe registration is they so choose.

Doing gas work for private customers is another matter.

If the OPs relative engages a BG man doing a private job he is not insured, not gas registered and may do a bad job as no one is watching.

I have been called to sort out a boiler fitted by a BG engineer as a private job. He did not clean the system and had not set up the boiler properly.

If anyone has had illegal gas work done they have the option of a free safety check by Gas-Safe ( 0800 408 5500 )

Tony

like most of your arguments there is little thought or fact behind it.

the fact he is already GSr'd makes little difference. if he is going to do a good job the circumstances will not matter, safety will be at the front of his mind no matter who is getting the money, if it isn't he won't last long as BG are probably heading for their biggest witch-hunt of all time. the safety aspect of their job is getting so great they can barely do the ****ing*** job now.

as usual the integrity of the BG engineer is far more in the spotlight than the independant. hand pick 6000+ independants and see what kind of defects you find on their jobs compared to 6000+ BG engineers and i doubt the independants will win.

You got a good point there Nickso !! than again it might depend on what you are refering to Health & Safety or gas reg's , building reg's ???

There's no moral issue here - the guy is competent and if he is a real BG bloke he should do a safe installation.

He's pinching work off his employer - an issue to individual RGI's and small firms, but I see no moral issue with stealing customers from a rip off mega corp like BG.

The main issue is simply that the client won't get a usable receipt or benchmark or certificate in terms of warranty and house sale documents,

That's all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back