British Gas fitted 2 wireless receivers. Why??

The stat should only link with one receiver, have they used one just to cover up a space?

Sponsored Links
Why would you need two receivers for combining 2 zones into one though?

BG are visiting the place tomorrow to sort out some leaks on the system and will hopefully explain what it's all about.

They have been to my friends today and said that the receiver under the stairs is simply a repeater from the one directly below the boiler as when they tested the found just one unit not to have satisfactory comms from the room stat. No seperate zonings.

Sponsored Links
In my opinion it is a load of rubbish. If they knew that then they could have omitted the one directly below the boiler and fitted just the one under the stairs.

Still don't understand how that would work. Maybe bg know something we don't about those receivers. Either that or bg have access to a special repeater version that is not available to the rest of the trade

I would imagine they have wired the relay contacts in parallel so that either unit can switch the heating on. So not really a repeater just a doubling up.

In my opinion it is a load of rubbish. If they knew that then they could have omitted the one directly below the boiler and fitted just the one under the stairs.

But that would require wiring from u/stairs to boiler?
Maybe the one under the boiler is in poor position, and could have been moved a very short distance. It does all seem odd, hence my query about house size and steel frames.

Has anyone else ha priblems in a "standard" house?

Still don't understand how that would work. Maybe BG know something we don't about those receivers. Either that or BG have access to a special repeater version that is not available to the rest of the trade

As @TCCHeating has said and has been said before, these receivers are, by name sake, just receivers. They don't send a signal. The only way to repeat this signal would be for the switched live to be hard wired to the boiler or another "sender" unit eg another stat to send a signal again to a secondary receiver unless there is a secret BG unit that we don't know about although that would be very unlikely as we have quite a few BG lads on here too.

Seems like an unnecessary expense due to poor planning or positioning and maybe even superfluous anyway and just there to charge more? I've never had this issue in a normal house and IIRC you were only transmitting over 4 metres so I fail to see the need for this.

Jon

Get them to put it in a written report to the customer... That'll stir them up a bit! Cos you can then contact the manufacturer of the receiver and speak to their tech support and ask the proper practice question!

Perhaps the old stat wiring was accessible under the stairs so they put the reciever there and the other one is acting as a junction box, whatever they should not have charged for the extra box.

Still doesnt make sense, to charge for it the quoting guy would have had to specify it originally, also bg dont use these controls any more all the new stuff is redesigned in the hive style.

My friends specifically specified that they did not want Hive stuff and so BG said they could fit the BG Drayton stuff

There's always a danger with a post from a third party. Perhaps all of the information has been presented, or something has been lost in translation.

Maybe the client specifically asked to have the possibility to move their thermostat around their home, (yes I know...but it does happen!), or when the thermostat was mounted in the ideal position, it was discovered that it didn't communicate reliably with the first receiver for some reason. Therefore the second receiver was added to extend the area of coverage.

Why was the original receiver left in place? could be for aesthetics. Perhaps it covers a sunken back box or damaged tiles. Maybe to prevent having to remove redundant wiring to the first receiver, or if there is some form of RF shield in the property to allow coverage the other side of it.

Hopefully we'll find out soon.

They have been to my friends today and said that the receiver under the stairs is simply a repeater from the one directly below the boiler as when they tested the found just one unit not to have satisfactory comms from the room stat. No seperate zonings.

Ok, having read the above again, I think the use of the word "repeater" is what's confusing the issue here. It "sounds" like they have installed it to be used as a "bridge"! Providing extended coverage to the wireless RF network! The chosen position for the sender unit must be at a locale which has intermittent comms with the first receiver which has been installed at original stat position to maintain decor and perhaps clients wishes to be able to take sender unit elsewhere in property, ie: upstairs ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back